Trouble measuring for miter cuts

Here's the problem. I'm doing frame and panel construction. I cut the panel and put a tenon on it. Made the mortice in the frame. Now I need to make miter cuts on the frame to fit the panel exactly, i.e. not a floating panel. I've been using the trial and error method to get the right lengths but what usually happens is that I get close and then the next cut takes too much off. Yeah, I know I should have scrap but I don't and after I cut the scrap too shoty I'd have to get find another piece anyway.

Is there an easy way to measure and cut miters other than T&E?

TIA

Ron

Reply to
Ron

"Try a roman ruler" two sticks of the same dimensions and about 2/3's the length of the distance you want to measure and a small clamp. Take your frame and dry fit it to the position you want. Slide the sticks apart till each one meets your chosen measuring point. Firmly clamp the sticks together then take the Starrett and measure the overall length for your cut.

EJ

Reply to
Eric Johnson

if i'm "seeing" this correctly it's similar to framing a picture. measure the distance from where the panel sits to the outside of the frame material. double this and add the panel size. that will give you point to point on your mitre cut. draw it out if you need to. bob

Reply to
Minorite

Panel plus twice the width of the pieces less 2x rabbet for outside.

Panel less 2x rabbet for inside.

That said, I always have a fudge of 1/8" or so. Add it to the to the panel dimension.

Reply to
George