toy safety finish

Hi I'm starting to make wood toys and I'm concerned about safety. Any suggestions on a finish that's kid safe and reasonably priced. Any help would appreciated. Thanks Tom

Reply to
TD

Thomas Mitchell

Shellac...it's FDA approved for food - can't get much safer than that!

************************************ Chris Merrill snipped-for-privacy@christophermerrillZZZ.net (remove the ZZZ to contact me) ************************************
Reply to
Chris Merrill

I don't remember the issue number, but Wood MAg about a year back had tips on safe finishes for toys. I remember for colors they used natural products ie teas or coffee for browns and I believe beet juice for redder colors.

Robert

Reply to
Robert Rushing

Thanks for all the help. You guys are great! Tom

Reply to
TD

In addition to the other comments, you might be interested in the Tried & True line of finishes:

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

Shellac and/or soya bean oil. Weak pastel colours can be obtained from coffee, beetroot, red cabbage, or berry juices.

Barry Lennox

Reply to
Barry Lennox

Any finish is perfectly safe as long as you let it completely cure.

I used General Finishes EF water-based stain and EF polyacrylic blend on the crib and cradle I made. They dried very fast and gave good results.

Mike

Reply to
Mike in Mystic