TOT Motor power

Gents, I have the job of converting a mobile ice-cream machine in a van ;(my daugh ter's), the machine presently being driven by the van's engine, to also be able to run instead on 230v AC when in sensitive or confined places (such a s at Food Fairs, Farmers' Markets etc.) The job is pretty straightforward; I know the required speed, there is adeq uate space for the motor, I only need to add a Fenner Taper-Lock pulley to the original drive shaft and a belt to the motor and any necessary switch g ear. The only thing I need to know is the motor power required. The van engine ( an old Perkins) runs at idle and, with its universal governor, just sags a bit when the ice

-cream machine clutch is engaged. Is there anyone in this great pool of knowledge that can help, please? Perh aps you have owned an electric ice-cream machine, or repaired one, or know someone who owns one who would let you look at the motor plate. I would be immensely grateful for any information; she put her redundancy money into t his and I want her to be able to earn a living from it. TIA!

Reply to
Limey Lurker

ghter's), the machine presently being driven by the van's engine, to also b e able to run instead on 230v AC when in sensitive or confined places (such as at Food Fairs, Farmers' Markets etc.)

equate space for the motor, I only need to add a Fenner Taper-Lock pulley t o the original drive shaft and a belt to the motor and any necessary switch gear.

(an old Perkins)

ce-cream machine clutch is engaged.

rhaps you have owned an electric ice-cream machine, or repaired one, or kno w someone who owns one who would let you look at the motor plate. I would b e immensely grateful for any information; she put her redundancy money into this and I want her to be able to earn a living from it.

I'm so sorry, gentlemen; I've posted this to the wrong Group! It was meant to go to UK/DIY However, I still need the help! So, if anyone....

TIA (and apologies)

Reply to
Limey Lurker

What is the idle speed of the old Perker, and the pulley ratio?Suspect the ratio is close to 1:1 and the idle speed is about

500 RPM- so a 1750RPM motor with a 2 inch pulley would about do the job
Reply to
clare

--------------------------------------------------------------- wrote:

------------------------------------------------------------------ My acquaintance with Perkins diesels is all with marine applications.

Idle speed will be around 1,500 RPM to prevent "wet stacking".

IOW, the engine has to run hot enough to make sure all fuel is burned.

Is your shore power 50 or 60 Hz?

If 60 Hz, a 4 pole motor has a no load speed of 1,800 RPM.

If 50 Hz, a 4 pole motor has a no load speed of 1,500 RPM.

Questions? Questions? Questions?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

So, if my other assumptions are correct, the motor pulley ratio will need to be close to 1:1 with either 50hz or 60 hz (1800 or 1500 rpm) motor

Reply to
clare

ghter's), the machine presently being driven by the van's engine, to also b e able to run instead on 230v AC when in sensitive or confined places (such as at Food Fairs, Farmers' Markets etc.)

equate space for the motor, I only need to add a Fenner Taper-Lock pulley t o the original drive shaft and a belt to the motor and any necessary switch gear.

(an old Perkins)

ce-cream machine clutch is engaged.

rhaps you have owned an electric ice-cream machine, or repaired one, or kno w someone who owns one who would let you look at the motor plate. I would b e immensely grateful for any information; she put her redundancy money into this and I want her to be able to earn a living from it.

Thanks for the replies, gents, but, as I said in the OP, I know the speed a lready; it's the power that I need to supply that I don't know!

Reply to
Limey Lurker

How big is the compressor?? A 2 HP motor should run it, but without an unloader it might not start it???

Reply to
clare