Top posting is best

Right, and it allows people following up to _that_ response to put everything in the correct flow and context.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

That, sometimes, is the fault of the person with the sig file. Most newsreaders (even Outhouse) will recognize "-- " on a line by itself as a sig delimiter. If someone just uses "--", then it's something that looks like, but is not, a legal sig delimiter.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Like I said. I don't understand why people go out of their way to read a thread they know they don't want to see, and then complain about it.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

kind ) posters do not snip, and never will.

OK so lets compromise and make it 50%. Still a lot of non-snippers forcing a lot of scrolling. So what's your magic solution for converting 50% of the world's posters to the art of snipping?

meat on the majority of posts (since bottom posts dominate), wading thru maybe 3 days worth of posts which our eyes, if not our brain, have now seen umteen times. What a waste of time and energy to say nothing of the wear and tear on arthritic fingers.

I agree. Me bad. Hopefully I fixed it.

theoretical but impractical plan and all start top posting.

Yeaaaa! Whats my prize? Let me help you with quoting Mortimer; he said something about saving the world's bandwidth, speeding up the internet, eliminating the worldwide shipment of spam, and mass education in snipping skills. Hope I got that right. You might check with him but he may be hard to reach. Last time I saw him he was on a horse chasing after some guy called Don Quixote looking for windmills.

Gee. Guess I'm part of the 50%. OTOH I just wasn't sure how much or where to snip. It"s so complicated: Should I trim or snip? What is a reasonable trim? Is it rude to snip somebodies signature? Is the flow and context still intact? Have I changed the meaning altogether? Should I leave the untrimmed part from the previous 4 posts there?

I'm already in trouble with the top posting police. I just didn't want to also get in trouble with the snip, eerrr trim, police too. So I wimped out and didn't snip.

Oh oh. That was only a joke!

Reply to
Treetops

"Hey, did you know that if you'd trim out some of that stuff we've all read over and over, and if you put your answers _after_ the question, that everything works better?" type messages.

Looks better, it's more like 90 now.

A "Gore/Lieberman" sticker, I think.

See, but if you had quoted him effectively, it'd be right up there,

7 or 8 lines up, above your "> Let me help".

Well, when there are people who say "Wow, what a mess, here, let me make it worse", ...

Apparently.

It depends. "Include enough context so people know who you're talking to and what you're talking about" is a good guideline that I've seen for a long time.

Never.

Not if you turn it upside-down.

If you have, they'll correct you.

Probably not. Anything more than two or three deep is rarely needed, unless there's a debate about a fine or subtle point of something rather deep.

I've never seen "lazily didn't bother to..." written that way, but whatever.

Yes, there's a lot of that going on in this sub-part of the discussion. Which is left 4-deep because context makes sense that way.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

posting > On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 11:25:35 GMT, Unisaw A100

rules! > wrote: :-) >

j4 >>Dave H>>

Reply to
jo4hn

I trim for and mostly top posting. I have a question for you "Are we still better off today when gasoline is now over $2.00 at the pump?"

Reply to
Ned

sigh...

UA100, who usually follows conformity but loves to watch panties twist when others don't...

Reply to
Unisaw A-100

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 16:56:08 -0600, Unisaw A-100 wrote:

Reply to
Dave Hinz

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 16:58:50 -0600, Unisaw A-100 wrote:

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Should I be flattered?

UA100, who does like a panty twister here and there...

Reply to
Unisaw A-100

That was more of a "pot...kettle...black" kind of thing.

Reply to
Dave Hinz