Tool Storage (2023 Update)

Wow! 24ft^2 for a shop sounds impossible. That sounds more like a bench.

Yes, it's a personal thing and certainly depends on the space given but too much space can be a problem too. Tools should be close to where they're going to be used, hopefully most in reach. Assuming the above, storage options are limited. My original questions, which I really wanted to back into was whether people actually used the "wall of cleats" pegboard, or something else. I'd hoped for some insight into the "something else". The YouTube videos are wall to wall wall of cleats. ;-) Pegboards seem to be heresy.

Reply to
krw

I couldn't agree more. I've been throwing away serviceable tools recently. Too much of a PITA to put on ebay.

Sell it with the house as a feature, not a problem.

When I gave it to the guy he asked if I wanted money for it. I told him that, no, hauling it away will save me enough money. I'd rather give them to someone who will really use them. I have a couple of Dewalt cordless tools I'll probably give him. I think he has Dewalt tools. I don't really like them and almost all of the batteries have failed so I really don't have much use for them. I gave many of my corded tools to the kid and I'd bet good money that they've not been plugged in since.

Reply to
krw

snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com on Sun, 02 Jan 2022 20:44:46 -0500 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

Cool idea. I'll stick with the various top loading holes/slots with a barrier to protect the sharp ends.

Yes. But I had a draw "drills & such" where the drill indexes go, along with the assorted other "things which can go in a drill" - driver bits, extensions, wire brushes, sanding drums. One stop shopping.

Having them fall off hasn't been a problem. Mostly because I had just started getting set up when I moved.

What can I say: YMMV, what works for one guy ...

ROFL! Yeah, that's what I said, too.

Same here.

Ah yes. Time to Five S - sweep, sort, standardize, shit can, and sell. :-)

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com on Tue, 04 Jan 2022 14:01:46 -0500 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

Yeah, the bench is a former coffee table, I've got shelves on both ends, and a cabinet under. And about 30-36 inches between it and the Desk. "Compromises have been made."

I did find that the Community College has a maker space with the big power tools I might need. (Finding out they have a very large bed CNC router table ... "has possibilities.")

I'm going to start with a pegboard, and will modify it as I go. The former wall cabinet is getting deconstructed and part will go onto the one shelf unit. Major project down the road will be to make boxes, cabinets and sliding shelve. "Details to be determined."

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

J. Clarke snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I make them. I don't have any for sale just yet, but might be able to put them up on eBay soon.

I can post here when they're up.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

The link didn't work for me until I realized that it wrapped. If you enclose a link with '<' and '>', it'll be recognized a link and will be recognized even if it does wrap. Makes things easier.

Reply to
krw