Tool Prices

He should listen to you. No reason to kill ants with a sledge hammer. Bes ides, he should look at the breadth of utility that you have achieved with your machine and realize he is years out from testing the Domino's limits.

Not really sure the big machine is the answer for a entry door. When I bui lt them in the past (been years; they are too cheap and easy to buy these d ays) I always use 2x6 kiln dried lumber with butt joints held together by a 1x4 tenon. This method didn't require the highest degree of accuracy.

I can't imagine lining the required amount of Dominoes needed to make a str ucturally sound joints.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

On Tuesday, February 28, 2017 at 11:06:52 PM UTC-6, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote :

tructurally sound joints.

Clafication: On something the size of a door. No need to argue the obvio us value of making structurally sound joints. On further clarification, I would be more concerned with he alignment of all the required Dominoes and their close tolerances of something that size and bulk when assembling.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Alignment is not difficult. Dry fit and mark both sides if all joints. Then cut exact fit mortises on one side and the elongated oversized mortise on the other.

Reply to
Leon

Don't bother with this nut. He stole the "Trenbidia" tag from me - guess I just won't use it anymore. I sure don't want to be associated with some nut who's fried his brain on meth and this is the only way he can think of to pump up his non-existent ego.

Wait for it - here comes his asinine response :).

Reply to
Trenbidia

How many dirty socks do you own, KOOK?

(I get fooled all the time by the constant hosiery parade in here.)

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Are you on drugs... or is insane idiot your default mode?

Reply to
Colin Campbell

Wow, you really are an excitable kook! Dissociative identity disorder, too.

No, that's *all* yours.

Reply to
krw

Leon, I have no doubt YOU could do it that way. But I am thinking of the o dd sized doors we used to build (regular sizes were always purchased as bla nks) as needed. For example, I remember building double 42" wide doors for a restaurant.

I framed the door with kiln dried 2x6 (remember being able to easily purcha se kiln dried wood?) and framed out the top, bottom, and sides with that, a nd put a a couple of 2x6s vertically inside that frame. With 2 sheets of 1 /4" plywood as skins, plenty of PL400, we had a helluva door. It may be my lack of experience with he Domino machine, but I am thinking that with all the tenons that would be needed it would be impossible to get all of them aligned well enough to assemble. At least for me!

BTW, the giant tenons never failed. By the time I got to the other end of t he door when assembling the door, all I had to do was tap it together. I as sembled the door frames with yellow glue and knocked a couple of 4d nails o n each side and from each side while assembling. I used the PL400 on the s kins as it was more flexible than the yellow glue and therefore less brittl e when under heavy use.

How strange... typing this I realize it has been decades since I built the doors. milled a jamb, set the hinges and hung the door. Just no need for t hose skills anymore.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

No doubt your method worked exquisitely. And I did not intent to suggest that the Domino would be the better choice. I just wanted to assure you that there are tricks that eliminate any concern with alignment. I don't give alignment much more than a second thought. I always have wiggle room. But having said that some elements of the Domino mortiser, IMHO, are over engineered and therefore hard to ignore, but I do ignore them. :-)

And I do not think I would be interested in building a fancy exterior door. Too many factors to take into consideration. I would leave exterior door building up to those with the knowledgable of the weather and temperature issues that can not be ignored.

Reply to
Leon

Actually, it can be not only challenging, but a lot of fun. I think it wou ld be right up your alley to build one of the old Mediterranean style doors with all the panels. LOTS of precision machining of parts. Different adh esives, adhesives based on wood type, and on an on.

I hope I am never in your shop when you are indexing, marking, putting in a lignment Dominoes, structure Dominoes, decorative Dominoes, etc. I can see that I would have to have one, think of a hundred projects to use it on im mediately, then a month later thinking... "why in the hell did I just spend a grand on this machine?". That is one of the few hand tools I have NEVER used. I could easily see me inventing projects of uses for the machine rat her than using the machine on projects.

I blame it all on you. Honestly, had I not seen all the ways you have used that tool for all manner of useful joints and joinery, I would have dismiss ed it out of hand as a bored shop owner's tool that was purchased for bragg ing rights only. I know two different people that have Domino machines, an d looking at your efforts they haven't even scratched the surface of its ca pabilities. One is afraid to use it because of its price tag. He is pleas ed to talk about it and speculate in its use, but he sure hasn't done much with it. The other uses it about three times a year when making some shop project. Doubtful he has used the sample tenons that came with the machine.

You are the Lone (Domino) Ranger, Leon!

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

I would probably have to buy a jointer although I have a jig to flatten boards with my planer. Flat would probably be my issue, with cabinets, dado's straighten out any bow. I guess I could build a matching bowed door jam. ;~)

LOL, Well you would have to build a lot of furniture OR Doors to justify the expense. To be honest the Domino was very new when I bought and I was not sure how much I would use it. But as I used it more and saw how consistently accurate it could be I began to push my limits with it. If you will recall the "Tower" cabinets in our bedroom, I had a combination of 8 sides, shelves, bottoms, and tops going together all in ONE glue up session. Domino's connected the fronts/backs and sides together and also registered where the fixed shelves, bottoms, and tops fit inside the cabinet. And no two sides, fronts, or backs were identical, each was unique. I had to be extremely anal in gluing up each panel so that each rail, 4 on each IIRC, would perfectly register with each rail on the other outer 3 sides. I premorticed the rails to receive Dominoes in each rail before the glue up of each exterior panel, those registered the location of each horizontal interior surface. Believe me I had several "modified" dominoes to help with registration during the dry fit of the 8 pieces should there be an alignment problem. Luckily dry fit on both cabinets went together as planned.

I am going to give a lot of credit to Sketch up for allowing me to have very detailed drawings of exactly how this was to all go together. 3D drawing is very helpful in seeing problems.

The Domino is very much like a Plate Joiner/Biscuit Cutter but on steroids. I suspect it may be of comparable quality to high end Lamello biscuit machines. After thousands and thousands of mortises nothing shows any wear and nothing that has adjustable settings has become sloppy. AND I am still using the same/original 5 mm bit that came with the Domino. I have an assortment, including an extra 5mm bit. I have never used that extra 5mm bit.

;~) Others know me as "Running Snake".

Reply to
Leon

I have a Bosch dishwasher that is German engineered, but it is quiet. You can align the silverware in pretty military like rows in the top shelf.

Reply to
Markem

I can assure the group that I did not post the quoted message.

Reply to
Colin Campbell