tool mounting

Because of a lack of space, I have for some time been thinking about how to mount my tools so that i can use the one I need at the time and have the rest semi-stored away. I work in an old two car garage where the vertical studs are easily accessible. Last night while browsing through the Lee Valley Hardware catalogue I believe i might have found the answer. They have what they call "Bed Hardware" which is normally used to attach bed rails to headboards/footboards. I'm thinking that if i mount each of my smaller tools (belt sander in holder, small band saw, scroll saw, etc) on a wooden base with the "bed hardware" attached then I could just lift into place the one that I needed at the moment. By attaching the "bed hooks" to the vertical studs i could mount whichever one i wanted. With a good light overhead and my dust collector handy, i believe this would make a handy workplace. Some tools like the 12" planer and the bench drill press are not suited but the press is mounted already anyways, and very soon the planer will get its own table with wheels. Before i start this project i wonder if anyone has tried this or similar and has any ideas or suggestions? Ken in NS
Here's a setup I built. It allowed me to hang the tools on the wall and then lock them into my WorkMate when I wanted to use them.
I'm not using the system now... Turned out I needed the wall space. <g>
<http://homepage.mac.com/balderstone/PhotoAlbum4.html
djb
--
There are no socks in my email address.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"

Interesting concept. Back when I was doing constructiion work. I mounted a lot of my bench top tools to 1/4" ply with a tuba four screwwed down the center. Clamped in a workmate it worked fairly well. Throw a sand bag on the bottom of the workmate to help keep it from walking.
D. Mo

I've used the Workmate system for the last several years. But i find that each tool needs a base anyways to clamp to the Workmate. So I'm going to try something different. Ken in NS