To make trim or not to make trim

I am adding the finishing touches to a liquor cabinet. I am putting on diagonal pieces of trim to cover the plywood. The cabinet is about 4 ft tall and opens to be 8 ft wide. To be honest, I am just buying flat faced trim and I have a feeling that there is a better way to DIY. How would I go about it or is buying it a better option?

Reply to
rob

On furniture, I always make my own trim and moldings. This allows me to better match the wood color and figure on the rest of the piece. Also, my shop made "trim" is always straighter, flatter, and of nicer stock than what I can usually buy.

Reply to
B A R R Y

I make all the trim I use. It's fairly straightforward, really. Make the flat cuts with the table saw, and use a router table with a fence to add curved details. If you have a shaper you can do the whole piece in one pass, but a router table will do the same work if you use several different bits and multiple setups.

Just make sure to plan for some extra trim, as it's fairly easy to mess up little bits of it if the wood is warped at all, or you pause when feeding and the blade or router bit burns the wood.

Reply to
Prometheus