Titebond II followup

That is what I am thinking and really a new bottle of glue for each project is not that big of a deal but hell you can't find any thing on the shelf that is less that 4~6 months old to begin with. It needs to be stirred right away.

Reply to
Leon

-------------------------------------------------------------- "Sw> TBII looked like a good bet when it come on the market. Complicated

----------------------------------------------------------------- Just one of the reasons epoxy exists.

It's waterproof and with a slow hardener has a 25 minute pot life at

77F (25C).

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

And unbelievable more expensive. And for that matter TB III has up to a 25 minute assembly time and you have mix epoxt

AND if needed TB III and the like glues can be reversed.

No thank you.

Reply to
Leon

dpb wrote in news:lousnv$7m0$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

If you need extended set-up times, why not go with Hide glue?

Baxter

Because I need no longer setup time than TB extend and or TB# offers. That would be just one more glue to have to keep on hand. And FWIW I have had hide glue go bad too, and it is kinda messy, and it dries dark... ;~(

Reply to
Leon

-------------------------------------------------------------- "Sw>>> TBII looked like a good bet when it come on the market.

Lew Hodgett wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------- "Le> And unbelievable more expensive. And for that matter TB III has up

------------------------------------------------------------ Words from the bard of Festool, "And unbelievable more expensive".

Guess "expensive" is a relative term; however, it helps to know how to buy.

Reverse a glue job?

Really?

Guess it takes all types.

BTW, it's possible to break an epoxy joint as long as it is still "green".

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

This is eye opening to myself.

I used to use a lot of glue and bought the Elmers by the gallon. Never any problems.

Elmers seemed a little gummy and soft when sanded so I switched to Titebond. I now have dead tubes of various Titebond flavors and figured that it was something I was doing wrong.

What, I had not a clue until now.

How you stir a small bottle I can not imagine doing without creating a mess.

Reply to
pentapus

The big difference is that my Festool tools have paid for themselves time and again in time savings. I see no advantage to spending more for a glue that has no advantages for this type application.

Have you never repaired anything or had to make an adjustment 20 minutes into a glue up that required partial disassembly?

Reply to
Leon

I've been switching back and forth to TB II and Elmers. Elmers for the longer glue up time.

I figure if Frank Klauz was using it, it had to be good enough.

BTW don't throw out that more viscous TB, I have been thinning TB for some applications, and it's great. Not as strong, but it's use is intended when the less viscous won't do.

Reply to
woodchucker

My contact was:

MY point is that your contact said no changes, mine said a different filler. Your contact says thin from settling, mine says thin from freezing.

And the bottle says *nothing* about thinning, only about thickening :-).

The inmates are running the asylum?

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Yep. Starting from the highest levels of government, all the way down to the "manager" at your local grocery.

Reply to
Swingman

Keep in mind that we are only talking about TB products that feature an extended open time. TB 3 and TB2 Extend are the only ones with this issue that I have had problems with. TB advised that any of their blues are iffy after 2 years from production date. If your regular TB and TB 2 glues thicken before their 2 year life try banging the bottle against a solid object. Strangely enough this action will return the thick glob to a liquid almost immediately. Remember this only works on the regular open time glues.

Reply to
Leon

Yeah I suspected a story was sent to each of us to explain the reason for the thinning, right or wrong. Yesterday I received a quart bottle of TB3 from TB. It was packed in the box upside down. I immediately noticed that the contents at the bottom go the bottle was discolored in one location, lighter colored. I highly suspect that the discolored spot was a glob of the stuff that needs to be mixed back in, as recommended, before each use. The date code indicated that the bottle was filled about 10 weeks ago. So even shipped direct from the manufacturer one can expect to have to mix before use.

My conclusion is that TB glues with extended open times are good glues when properly mixed with each use. These glues, after some time of sitting on a shelf and no remixing of the contents, will most probably NOT perform, during assembly, as expected. I suspect that the longer the bottle has sat the less of an open time one can expect.

For me, is TB3 worth the extra expense and so much more trouble to observe the benefits? NO Same question for the less expensive extended open time products from TB? Maybe

Reply to
Leon

Your typo could inspire a song.

Buddy Guy singing "I Got The Glues Blues".

Howlin Wolf "Your Glues Give Me the Blues"

Muddy Waters "Titebond Blues"

Country Western twist "My horse is glue and I'm blue"

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

;~)

Reply to