Tite Bond II...Hardware Store says it has the fewest complaints

In bold letters the lable states Water Proof. The glue is not water proof. No stipulations unless you look elsewhere.

Reply to
Leon

Leon wrote: ...

... Depends on what the meaning of "is" is, I guess... :)

I've been aware of the ANSI Standards for so long I guess I'm totally desensitized to the question/concern you're try to raise.

As for the determination that it doesn't perform better, I don't see any basis for the claim--they meet the standard they say they do and I've certainly never had a failure of TB-III in it's stated environmental usage to see there's anything whatever to complain about.

Reply to
dpb

Yeah! LOL

And if you are aware that is another case. I now know better. The trouble is the lable is bright green and pretty, it will attract the unaware.

IIRC it was Wood magazine that did a test on the products. There were 10 or so brands and types including the plyurethane glues. TB III and TB II were in the test and the tsts included water sprays, and soaks IIRC. Any way the article pointed out that TB II was superior to TB III in their test. There was a lot of noise about it after the article came out. As a result of the article I contacted Franklin and went back and forth with the Product Manager. He claimed that he was aware of the article and would be getting to the bottom of the situation. He sent me a case of TB III to give out to friends and I have not heard anything about it since. IMHO the lable should indicate "More Water Resistant" because to the comon knowledge customer, WaterProof is,

adj. 1.. Impervious to or unaffected by water. 2.. Made of or coated or treated with rubber, plastic, or a sealing agent to prevent penetration by water. n. 1.. A material or fabric that is impervious to water. 2.. Chiefly British. A raincoat or other such outer garment. TBIII is none of the above.

Reply to
Leon

There is, but IIRC it's more like TB1 than 2 or 3.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

No actually, this thread is great.

Reply to
Thomas G. Marshall

I've used Elmer's Woodworkers glue for over 30 years, probably gallons of the stuff. It's strong and never had a complaint. I suspect there is little difference between the major brands. I don't use the waterproof glue unless the application requires it.

Reply to
Phisherman

Elmer's white glue is not Elmer's "Wood" glue. Elmer's Carpenter glue is not white, it is yellow, same as TB. One of the major differences from white glue and carpenters glue is creep. Elmer's yellow Carpenter glue creeps less than white glue, just as TB does. Personally, I've never had a problem with Elmer's Carpenters Glue, but would not hesitate to buy Franklin's TB. If they were side by side, I'd buy the one with the best price.

I don't particularly care what the salesman said about complaints, 35 or so years personal experience with Elmer's Carpenters glue w/o a complaint is enough for me. I have used TB and it was the same stuff, far as I could tell.

Reply to
Jack Stein