Timber dogs

This is the first time I've seen this. I can't way to get some and try them out.

Mike

Reply to
Michael

I bought a few, off Ebay. Seems, old original ones are not offered, that often, so I bought newer, repro ones.... 6" & 8" ones. I hadn't thought t o use them for joining boards, but for steadying logs or large timbers, as I hand split them or hand work them, in certain circumstances.... more so i n a fashion of a hold-down type tool. *Old original hold downs are not al ways so readily available, on Ebay, either.

There are very large varieties of pinch dogs, 3', 4', etc., for logs, also. I don't recall if those larger ones have a different "name"/term.

They look simple to use, but my use was not perfect. I didn't know a prop er technique, for my purpose, so I had problems, as to their proper applica tion and function, but I persisted. I suppose, someday, I'll learn better , as I practice, more, have a project that I can practice on.

I like old tools, I have only a few, and it's a little annoying when I have to teach myself their proper or best use. It looks easy, when someone els e uses them, correctly, but not so easy, when it's use is new to me. Some times, I try to convince myself that I'm smarter, than an inanimate object, but end up humbling to my *smartaleckness, if you know what I mean.

Similarly, using a adze or broad ax, properly, is not as easy as it seems, either.

Sometimes I feel like a idiot, sometimes I prove it, when messing with old hand tools!.... and, luckily, I still have all my fingers and toes.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

I think I would be more inclined to use clamps...

Reply to
Leon

When I was much younger, my Dad & brothers "dipped turpentine". They used a broadaxe and maul to cut a slit to insert the tins in. That was long ago but not so far away.

Reply to
G. Ross

On Thu, 12 Mar 2015 09:40:34 -0500, Leon

He certainly had enough planes there. I figure at least two dozen.

Reply to
none

Sonny wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

*snip*

*snip*

Sometimes there's a lot of knowledge hidden in tool designs. It's not the object you have to be smarter than, but the designer you have to equal.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Cabinetmaker I worked for briefly in the UK 50 years ago had boxes full of them, some of them fairly long, 8 to 10 or so". He had them made by the local blacksmith.

Reply to
Swingman

No doubt, but I'm still going to try this. It looks like fun.

Reply to
Michael

Nice lesson.

I always heard pinch dogs. Timber dogs are larger than your hand and are used in attaching a chain to a log in order to drag it. Handy attachment item.

Mart> This is the first time I've seen this. I can't way to get some and try them out. >

Reply to
Martin Eastburn