Tilting mortisers -- I think I'm missing something

The use of this particular tilted mortise feature as explained in the email would work for roughly half of what would be necessary for a very limited chair design. A relatively simple design where the two side assemblies are mirror images, as they are here:

(more of a simplified and squared stool design, than a traditional splayed and angled seat design).

Not being a fan of angled tenons in chair making, and if the goal is to design/fabricate using a traditional chair design (with more involved compound angled joinery as shown below) the tilting "feature" of the mortiser arguably won't take you that far:

In that respect, the explanation in the email, as justification for the limited ability to tilt, is arguably misleading.

Particularly to a novice purchaser, purchasing in part based on the advertised feature, but not fully aware of what it takes to effect M&T chair joinery, fixed or floating tenon.

Not everyone would stop to think it out, as you have.

Reply to
Swingman

Bill wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news4.newsguy.com:

Chairs.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I know I keep pounding this, ;`). A Domino would probably work fine for chairs if you build some inexpensive jigs, something you will probably still have to do to some degree with a high dollar mortiser.

And then you end up with a tool that you will most likely use on every project for then on.

And FWIW you still will most likely, if cutting through mortises or exposed mortises will have to do clean up work as the mortisers are basically a chisel press with a drill bit to remove the debris.

But certainly get what you will be comfortable with. I'll stop pounding. ;~)

Reply to
Leon