Structurally sound?

I don't really intend to build this; not exactly anyway, and maybe not at all. But I do intend to build a bench at some point, and I like the idea of slats with space in-between them. For now I'd just like to gauge if something like this would be strong enough. Let's suppose a worst-case of three people sitting on it.

[Scroll right for other views]

And how would you go about figuring it out?

Here's my thought process so far. I figure 11 1x3s in this orientation should hold a good bit of weight, but even if it's enough, two problems remain.

  1. They could twist.

That could be cured by putting some short pieces of the same material between the long slats; in the middle, as I've shown them, or perhaps two sets each 1/3 of the way from the end.

  1. The joints where the top slats meet the "legs" have too little surface area. The "racking" forces might cause the joints to fail.

To counteract that, I made two of the "slats" out of 1x8 instead, producing better geometry against racking.

I'm already thinking of moving the legs closer to the center, and of designs that look nothing like this one. But I'm still curious to get your opinions to calibrate my own sense of the sturdiness of something like this.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

Overall, it looks pretty strong to me. Only problem I see is that the top is flat. If you sit for a while it will not be as comfortable as a seat with a dish to it. The 1 x 3s will hold a lot of weight though.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Looks strong enough to me. Were you thinking about using it indoors? For outdoors, that is a lot of end grain sitting on the ground.

Reply to
G. Ross

--------------------------------------------------- It's a standard beam calculation; however, use 1x4's (3/4" x 3-1/2" construction grade), get a beer and enjoy your efforts.

BTW, 3, 250 lb people will fit nicely.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Any references for this? Someplace I might learn more about the math?

Reply to
Greg Guarino

Doug Winterburn

You are not going to get any twist from a 13 member glue laminate and it will several times stronger than any individual member.

This sucker will hold even three "modern" Americans.

Reply to
Dr. Deb

----------------------------------------------------- "Greg Guar> Any references for this? Someplace I might learn more about the > math?

TIP:

If you use a uniform load of 10#/", a 72" bench will have a 720# load. (ie 3 std adults)

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett