through dovetails with thick wood

I had luck with a real low-tech means of tiling the stock when doing my bench: milled a 1/2 inch scrap of stock and carpet taped it so that the inside edge was 4" from the other edge of my workpiece, so what was resting on my BS table was one edge of the wokpiece, with this scrap raising the other edge of the workpiece. Result: a 1:8 slope. Then move the scrap to 4 inches from the other edge to get the other side of the pin. Much simpler than the jigs I have seen for dovetailing, and with very thick and not very wide stock, I was not worried about lack of support under the cut.

But that is not sufficient. The next step is to cut out the part you marked. DAMHIKT!! I saved my piece with X's clearly marked on the "pushtails" I left. I plan to mount it over my bench as a reminder that a supposedly foolproof method is no match for a superior caliber of fool! ;-)

P.S. I enjoy your web site. Nice job. Well written and designed.

Reply to
alexy

replying to phadras, Johnny R Rowland wrote: Nice handsaw...

Reply to
Johnny R Rowland

Nice calendar.

Reply to