This is just plain NUTS!

please tell me when something like that would be needed and what there is about it that justifies a list price of almost $3K.

FoggyTown

Reply to
foggytown

> Somebody please tell me when something like that would be needed and

About the only thing I can think of is for planing large timbers to size, such as post and beam construction. Real price is $1500 (forget the Amazon "list" prices) or so and I can see that. It is a low volume tool so design and tooling cost will be spread over lower number of units.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

> Somebody please tell me when something like that would be needed and

Reply to
CW

> Somebody please tell me when something like that would be needed and

Would be suitable for timber framers who want to surface large stock... sale price is about $1,500. Hey what a deal... half price! I want one because I don't have one. NOT!

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

When you are faced with a Neander that thinks he's somebody with his #8. And with 33 ft of cord you've got enough to tie him down and make him watch you use it. Priceless.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

List price? The selling price was about $1500

  1. Where can you buy a 12" Hand Electric Planer for less?
  2. Can you build one for less?

> Somebody please tell me when something like that would be needed and

Reply to
Frank Arthur

I don't know. A similar Mafell costs double that.

Har!

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

> Somebody please tell me when something like that would be needed and

Take another look at the ad and its use. The timber frame and log home builders have a whole set of specialized tools to handle that big stock. The shipping weight on this item is more than fifty pounds. Some of the equipment is similar to that used in industrial saw mills. If you don't like this you probably wouldn't like to buy one of their $ 700 to $1,300 circular saws.

RonB

>>> Somebody please tell me when something like that would be needed and

Reply to
Warren Weber

>Time the tool man Taylor would love that!

Reply to
Brent Beal

Amazon's list prices are BS. They're selling prices are realistic.

This is a specialized tool, just like those giant 16" handheld circular saws. People working with large timbers need them.

> Somebody please tell me when something like that would be needed and

Reply to
AL

> Somebody please tell me when something like that would be needed and

I'll take "Tools that would scare the living shit out of me" for a thousand please, Alex...

Reply to
wood_newbie

So you think it may be a bit excessive for the spice rack I'm making, then?

FoggyTown

Reply to
foggytown

Like Ed pointed out - low sales volume means R&D and mfg tooling costs are spread over small number of units. The pricing structure for any OEM product in these times is quite complex. I would love to have one and am sure I could put it to good use - but do I *need it*....probably not.

Reply to
Joe Bemier

Reply to
Jimmy

Yeah. Those things could put a whole new definition on the word "Kickback".

Reply to
RonB

> Somebody please tell me when something like that would be needed and

You're right. Nothing justifies the idiotic way manufacturers set their list prices.

The tool, however, is fine, even at that price.

RicodJour

Maybe not. How much flattening will the wall to which the rack is to be mounted need?

Mark & Juanita

They're not really that bad. I took a timber framing class a few years ago and they had 2. On had an after market 1/2" thick base plate that had almost no kick on startup. We tended to wait for that one rather than use the one with the factory base. Joe

Reply to
Joe Gorman

It's an adult sex toy.

Reply to