The Towers bedroom project, Completed!

LOL. If you spent good money you most likely have Cutlist "Plus".

You want to search/Google for Cutlist 4.0. It is a "free" plugin for Sketchup and imports your data from Sketchup directly into Cutlist Plus. A real time saver and insures accuracy.

Reply to
Leon

There you go... those tools absolutely make the project and others for that matter much easier. A 12" disk sander came in handy also. I made all of the drawer pulls, 18 of them out of cherry and oak, cherry being the outer, most visable wood. They have rounded fronts so I glued a pattern on to them and sanded the ark shape to match the pattern.

And again, thank you.

Reply to
Leon

LOL, My Laguna was up to the task of cutting the arch over the bed and the arcs on the tower upper door details. Not to mention the veneer for the bed posts. :~)

Reply to
Leon

going to work in a smaller room. Very clear now. That is a beautiful addition that provides all of the storage you could possibly need in one very neat package using minimal floorspace.

Nice Work!

Thank you Ron! I guess a big advantage to using Sketchup is that I, early on, drew the bedroom and started putting the designed pieces into that drawing, to make sure thay would actually fit. ;~) Seriousely though and as others have that have been following along like you pointed out, the bridge between the towers made it all work and IMHO made the room look bigger.

The room has 10' ceilings and I really wanted to use up some of that wasted space for storage, along with under the bed.

Reply to
Leon

"Leon" wrote in news:rJmdnZUZcqEeyDvWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I seem to already have the plugin, but I had to upgrade and reactivate Cutlist. Now I have version 2006.6.5

Reply to
Han

Mine's 2009.5.11

Two of my most useful woodworking tools ... hardly ever go into the shop these days without SU drawings of what I'm going to do, and a CutList Plus parts list and layout diagrams for cutting.

Also absolutely great for pricing jobs. I've routinely updated the materials database prices whenever I get a purchase invoice. Amazing how often my BOM estimates using CutList Plus are to the penny, including tax. I've have the Gold version and have been dead-on with the materials estimates on a some pretty large kitchens, including doors, drawers, and hardware, and months in advance.

Can't afford surprises with the operating margins these days and CLP has paid for itself many times over in that regard.

Reply to
Swingman

On 21 Mar 2010 15:38:44 GMT, the infamous Han scrawled the following:

...you'll be too busy "retiring" to do much woodworking, too. I keep hearing that from retirees. ;)

-- If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do. -- Samuel Butler

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Swingman wrote in news:lsydnR4Y-efo5TvWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Eventually I'll look up what I miss with my version versus the next one. For now, I don't think I need to spend $249 (probably less as an upgrade, but still).

I can really see how this is just about a must for a professional!

Reply to
Han

On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 14:50:16 -0500, the infamous Swingman scrawled the following:

Holy Shit, Batman! I just went to the CutlistPlus.com site and saw the prices. For only $500, you can have a program tell you how to cut a freakin' sheet of plywood? Or only $250 for a lesser program? And $90 for the rock-bottom software? How do they get that? (Cutlist used to be free.) I guess it helps to be working with tons of ply daily.

Cool. I can see where the pricing tool is worth its cost. There sure aren't many extra features per upgrade step, are there? I'd guess that cabinetmakers would pretty much be the sole target market for the Gold edition and cabinet manufacturers the sole target for the Platinum edition.

Grok that. But if margins are that low, shouldn't you be trying to get more custom work, Swingy? Hang out on the corner of McMansion and Main with a sign "Will Do Custom Cabinetry for Food" sign, eh?

-- If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do. -- Samuel Butler

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I have been using CLP for quite a while IIRC 10+ years and do not ever recall the program being free with the exception of a very limited evaluation version. $500 gets you much more than a program that shows you how to cut a sheet of plywood. To name a few perks the program provides, it will track and releive your inventory of materials and produce several reports with information concerning cost, mark up, tax, etc.

How do they charge those prices? On my Tower Bed Room project alone I probably saved 3~4 days of planning on lay out of materials out of my particular inventory of materials and their odd sizes. That alone paid for the program. Then consider the reduction of wase in materials when a project like my Towers Bedroom project which had probably 50 different sizes of parts totaling in excess of 300 pieces on the towers alone.

True, there are not many extra perks to the higher priced versions for the common hibbiest other than the ability to use more part pieces and sizes. It can be a real bummer to need to enter 4 or 5 extra parts once you have hit a particular program versions limit.

Can't do that in West U. ;~) It would be frowned upon.

Reply to
Leon

On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 10:12:18 -0500, the infamous "Leon" scrawled the following:

I did say "Cutlist" rather than "Plus", Leon.

I figured that it did, but I wanted to be ironic. ;)

Very cool! But then, how many people build bedroom sets which will seat 32,146 at a time?

Which version do you have, Leon?

Vas ist das "hibbiest", mein herr? Oh, you meant "hobbyist", dincha?

Yeah, I think I did that once and came unglued over it.

Yabbut, it was a fun thought, eh? I got this email eons ago:

---------------------------------- | W I L L W O R K F O R F O O D | | F R A N C H I S E S | | | | STILL AVAILABLE!!!!!! | ----------------------------------

YES! Make BIG $$$ (Tax FREE!!!)

With Your Very Own

"WILL WORK FOR FOOD" Franchise

We Supply:

  • The Cardboard Sign
  • The Prime Location
  • The Thrift Clothing
  • A Special 90-minute Instructional Tape Entitlted "How To Look Homeless"

Say Goodbye to that Dead-End Job.

Call Today! Operators are standing by.

CALL 1-800-RIP-U-OFF

Now, until the end of the month, as a bonus, we will include a wooden crutch, just in case some jerk actually asks you to do some work.

We Consider AOL/WebTV Members PRE TRAINED so act NOW and get an additional 5% OFF!!!

-- If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do. -- Samuel Butler

Reply to
Larry Jaques

That you did. BUT! Cutlist is still free. Cutlist, is not the same program as Cutlist Plus. I have been using Cutlist Plus for about 10+ years, I only recently discovered Cutlist, the plugin.

I suspect that if you have the capability you may very well build the larger projects. I have built many large projects in the past, several kitchens, however not that many large projects that I was not being paid for. The bedroom project took little of my time in planing and optimizing with both Cutlist.* programs and Sketchup. Lets just say with the combination of the 3 programs listed above there is organization and order, and much less intimidation to actually do the project. Most of us remark that we would like to build something of a certain magnitude if we only had the courage.

I use Cutlist 4.0 as the Sketchup plugin and I am vurrently using Cutlist Plus Gold Edition 2009.5.5

Yup! a reeeeeel pisser. ;~)

;!)

Reply to
Leon