The Perfect Mitre

I am having trouble with kitchen Pelmet and Cornices mitres. the Material is Melamine covered MDF and I can't get an invisable joint. I want to know the secret of the perefect Mitre.

Reply to
roger kravitz

The biggest mistake that many make that cause problems with a creating a square is insuring that opposite sides are EXACTLY the same length.

Reply to
Leon

LOL! Are you SURE you meant precisely what you WROTE, Leon? I thought it was a good idea to have same length sides...

Dave

Reply to
David

Reply to
Thomas

Uh yeah... Let me take a moment to resay that. Make sure the opposite side are the same length.

Reply to
Leon

A wise old woodworker once told me the perfect miter was just an intellectual concept and doesn't exist in the real world. But having said that, if you still wish to pursue it -

Google is your friend.

Reply to
Max Mahanke

I used to struggle to make good miter joints for picture frames. Recently I made a miter cutting jig that has worked very well. I got the design from the Web but unfortunately I didn't save the Web location.

It is basically a sled made of MDF or plywood that slides in the miter gauge slots of my table saw. Two hardwood fences are bolted to the sled at a right angle so that where they meet is where the blade cuts into the sled. You adjust the angles of the fences so that 1) each fence is at a perfect 45 deg. angle to the blade and 2) the two fences are at a perfect right angle. Do this with test pieces of scrap similar to what you would use for a picture frame.

If you can find such a jig on the web you'll see how it works immediately. It is pretty simple and it makes almost perfect miters for me. A key: the opposing pieces must be exactly the same length which you can get by clampling a stop block to the fence when you make the cut.

Reply to
Billy Smith