Texas "Hill Country" woodworking ... or working to an 1/8th on a nippy Texas morning.

About the only foundation crew I would ever let into my shop:

diagonals measured to an 1/8th, or less, bubbles split the lines, and more accurate woodworking, dimension wise, than many cabinet projects I've seen.

... and what a gorgeous morning if you must need be out of the shop!

Reply to
Swingman

I had a crew with a similar standard of excellence do my foundation walls.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Brings back memories of busting knuckles tieing rebar while working for my Dad in the 60's.

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

I'm about 160 miles out of my normal territory, in a rural area of central Texas, and drawing on subcontractors in the neighboring two counties, populated, but not densely, with lots of small towns ... and just tickled sh*tless to see that the urban cesspool mentality has yet to pollute the pride in workmanship attitudes hereabouts.

Now, if I can only rustle up a local framing crew this precise.

Reply to
Swingman

Hows about starting with LUMBER that precise??

Reply to
Robatoy

The stories I could tell !!! Like the time I stopped in on one crew ... the were measuring and laying out the forms for a slab. Cement was on it's way. Didn't have time to listen to my "friendly advice" about checking the diagonals. Could have gotten it closer to sqaure by eye than they did that one ! (we're talking feet not inches and certainly not fractions)

Congrats on finding some good ones!

Finally up into the positive temps here in Maine. burrrrr

Lenny

Reply to
lenhow

Around Marble Falls? Had a crew do some excellent work a few years ago, their still around, last I heard. Steele brothers do good work.

Reply to
Rick Samuel

You'd better drop to your knees and give thanks! If you're up around Bourne (or close) you'll appreciate it in ten years! Hopefully your framing crew will take the compliment your footings provide and give you something that won't have settling issues later down the line. The ground will settle no doubt, but if someone is having to "cheat and shim" because of failure to check plumb and square, it's just a crying shame I tell ya! LOL!

Jimmy Mac (aka Jummy)

Reply to
Jimmy Mac

Yea... they talk about nippy...Nippy? I give you nippy...and thick!

ain't no drift. That shit fell straight down.

Reply to
Robatoy

It was very common to have to shovel that much snow off the car, when I lived on Lake Erie.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Looked like that here too, but it is melting quite well today.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

Yea... they talk about nippy...Nippy? I give you nippy...and thick!

ain't no drift. That shit fell straight down. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Looks like the perfect opportunity for a little winter snow shovel aerobics exercise there.

Aren't you lucky! ;)

Reply to
Lee Michaels

...pretty heavy duty...that's #6 bar in there, if my eyes aren't too bad today. I worked foundations for awhile and I ended-up the carpenter responsible...every morning we checked the work of the previous day and every evening the work completed *that* day...redundancy is not a bad thing, especially when the framing contractor searched me out to shake my hand. And you guys know, errors in foundation, if not corrected by the framer, cause chaos all the way out...AFA the wonderful morning, my time in Mineral Wells taught me that Texas is NOT always warm; I kinda liked it!

cg

Reply to
Charlie Groh

You're in TO, right?