Table Saw Switches

What have folks been buying for new switches? I'm going to replace mine and am curious what different ideas people have tried. I'll probably go with a paddle for the obvious convenience.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I would get one with the magnetic dropout feature to ensure saw doesn't auto restart when power comes back on after an electrical outage or resetting a breaker after tripping.

Reply to
Jack

Yeah - that's what I'm planning on Jack. Should have made that more clear in my original post. Was more interested in who has purchased which brand, price, other comments. I saw one Griz switch on Amazon (I believe...) and wasn't that impressed with it from the pic. Small push buttons - recessed(?), no paddle. The paddle really looks like a convenience I could get used to.

I became a believer in the mag switches after one time plugging in a table saw and hearing the blade take off. No big event - nothing happened, but it was a remarkable case for mag switches.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

But are they available for 110V saws? I've never seen one (of course that doesn't mean much).

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Check out:

that URL doesn't work search under auction # 7556909742

This is the same switch as on my Unisaw. I bought another one from this guy. He is the OEM of the switch. The auction closes in about 11 hours from the time of this post, but it says he has 23 of them, so even if it closes before you read this, it would be worthwhile emailing him with a query.

He also makes the regular 2x4 handy box sized switches--red/green on/off buttons--as seen on Delta bandsaws, drill presses, 15" planers, and DJ20 jointers. Similar to the one Norm used on his router table. I would email him and inquire about one of those if the mag switch is too much for you.

He seems like a nice guy. We had several very pleasant email exchanges.

Reply to
LRod

Don't know any specifics for the 110V TS but if a switch has a 120V coil it should work even if its for a 3-phase, high voltage 10,000 hp motor.

Reply to
Jack

If you are already comitted to a mag motor starter, then any standard start-stop push button station will do a nice job.

Allen-Bradley, Cutler-Hammer, Furnas, GE, Square D, etc, take your pick.

Personally, I like a big (2-1/4" dia) red mushroom head stop button for any machine tool application.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

============= Funny thing because I just got a magnetic switch yesterday for my secondary tablesaw....(an old Rockwell/Delta)....

I was using the saw with a sled a couple of weeks ago when the power went off just after I had finsihed cutting off a one inch piece of scrap ... So I just walked away

A few minutes later the power came back on and that small scrap cutoff scrap piece I left on the sled vibrated over and the blade caught it...

SHOT that sucker across the shop ..... and it hit my left hand hard enough to cut the skin... I was at least 15 foot from the saw ...SOB !

I just did not think to turn the saw off when the power went off...

The new Magnetic switch will be on the saw before the weekend...

Bob G.

Reply to
Bob G.

What'd you end up buying Bob? Price? Vendor?

Reply to
Mike Marlow