Table Saw.

So I think I might want to be a cabinetmaker, but I'm really just a construction laborer right now. Kind of sucks but I really like working with my hands and my wood so I figure why not try to get paid for your efforts? In any event, I had a whole persuasive argument prepared on the relative benefits of autonomy but now I've forgotten it in favor of something unknown but less memorable.

donotboreme.

Reply to
Jay Pique

Also, I want to be a TS I can grown into but I can also use in the field for a long time to come.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

You must be very short. If you want to grow into it, a cabinet saw is your best choice as it will protect you from the elements and has the most room inside.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Jay says,

It's gonna be really hard. Getting wired up for electricity will be quite shocking. You will have to learn to be very cutting.

Sorry, Mr Fixit

Reply to
Mr Fixit eh

Not a table saw, but a system capable of precision cuts - look at the Festool. It is one of the few setups that excels in both the construction and cabinetmaking fields.

Reply to
john.downie

Not a table saw, but a system capable of precision cuts - look at the Festool. It is one of the few setups that excels in both the construction and cabinetmaking fields.

Reply to
john.downie

No you misunderstood. He needs smaller than a cabinet saw as he wants to grown in to it. It will need to be a tight fit.

Reply to
Leon

Maybe one of those monster straight line rip saws would be best. I did just crack 200 pounds here on earth.

What I think I want is a saw that can be tuned to do fine work, but will eventually be relegated to field work - ie. ripping hardwood flooring to width when needed. I understand that it's likely to need frequent attention, but I figure it's a good learning tool in that I'll be forced to learn how to maintain it. Which will make it that much more fun to graduate to a cabinet saw, and eventually dedicated rip/panel/crosscut saws.

I'd like to keep cost under $400, but again, it's value that's important.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

So you need a portable? Maybe if you can narrow it down to which class of table saw you are considering and ask about a few specific models everyone will be able to give you more focused advise.

Kevin in Bakersfield

Reply to
Kevin

Hmmm - you'd give up "bammin' sh*t together with a kick a$$ framing nailer on bump-fire mode" for "hoidy-toidy resawing veneers"? :)

Reply to
patrick conroy