Table Saw

For under $1000, I agree with many here. Go with the Grizzly. Can't beat it for the money and you can't beat it for your price range. Here's a link:

toolguy

In three years, I've found one. It was advertised three days after I bought my contractor's saw, and it was close to list price. I see plenty of Craftsman and Shopsmilth for sale though. I guess people in CT keep things longer.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

You will get a lot of negative opinions of Craftsman for sure. For years their quality has suffered, but as stated in the other posts, it seems as though they are trying to make a comeback... at least in the table saw market. I recently purchased the step down from the "professional" which is a hybrid of the cabinet and normal contractor's saw. I absolutely love it and can't imagine getting a much better saw. The fence that came with mine is definitely one of it's weaker points, but the beisemeyer that comes with the "professional" is widely regared as one of the best money can buy. I won't pretend to say it IS absolutely better than the Delta since I dont own either of them, but in my research up to buying one last month I found no advice pointing to the Delta over the beisemeyer, but plenty pointing to both as great fences.

Good luck in your search.

Mike W.

Reply to
Mike W.

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 13:45:27 -0800, San Diego Joe vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Reword that. We think we know what we atn, and if we make the choice, you can't get blamed.

Reply to
OldNick

I have a Delta contractor saw. As far as I am concerned I will never need to replace it. Sure a Delta Unisaw would be nice, but for the limited use I give it, it does all I need, and you can buy one for under $1000. Make sue it has a Unifence or a Biesemeyer fence.

?e=136&p=788Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Please check this out

The Sears saw has a genuine Biesemeyer fence. It is identical to the Bieses on other saws and it have their name in big black letters. Others have cloned the style but they still sell under their own names.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Hi, I've got the Griz 1023s, love the saw, no problems.

Tony

Reply to
Tony

I bought the 1023s a few months ago, no trouble what so ever......Have use it pretty hard.

Tony

Reply to
Tony

how much do you love him?....just kidding ....buy him a Delta Unisaw...nothing says I love you more than a Delta Unisaw....friends don't let friends buy anything else!

Mike

Reply to
aswr

In your price range there are a number of 'quality' candidates. "Contractor" saws by Delta, Powermatic, DeWalt, General The _new_ Craftsman top-of-the-line "cabinet like" saws There's a "Hybrid" by Jet Grizzly has several models in your range, including a true cabinet saw that is "just below" the top end

There are a number of technical differences in the construction of a 'cabinet' saw, vs a "contractor" -- functionally, they boil down to the following: 1) the cabinet saw is somewhat easier to tweak for optimum performance You can get very similar results with a contractor saw, you just have to "work harder" to get the optimum set-up -- and it may fall 'out of alignment' quicker than a cabinet saw will. 2) the contractor saw is a 'box on legs', while a cabinet saw has a fully- enclosed base. EITHER ONE can be put on wheels, to move around, for about the same cost. The enclosed cabinet does a better job of containing the "mess" that any saw makes -- doesn't totally eliminate the mess, but contains a _lot_ of it. Corollary: if you _don't_ have a "dust collector" system you have to do "something" about cleaning out the innards of a cabinet saw, on a fairly regular basis. The contractor saw (mostly) just dumps stuff on the floor, where it's easier to deal with. 3) The cabinet saws are heavier. which translates to somewhat smoother cutting. Good "contractor' saws are usually 'heavy enough' that the difference is not significant for the casual user.

"Hybrid" saws have some of the features of a 'cabinet' saw, and some of a 'contractor'.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Powermatic had a Biesemeyer option once upon a time and I know Sears has them now. If it says Biesemeyer it's a Biesemeyer.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A-100

Okay. Thanks. I didn't know.

Reply to
Bruce Barnett

I play and enjoy!

Thanks for the advice --- Everyone! I will print this thread and let him read all of your comments. Lot's of good info here.

We live in the Seattle area. Does anyone have suggestions for stores that will have a good variety of brands in stock that he can check out in person?

--- oboe

Reply to
oboe

======================= Honestly I do NOT see ANY Tablesaws being advertized in The Classifieds... Ed saw one in 3 years,...lol Boy Those Damn Yankees (not meant seriously) must buy and sell a lot more then the rest of us...

BUT ...I would advise the OP to look at top of the line Contractors saws... My main TS is a Jet Cabinet saw...now close to 15 years old...but I still have, and still use, my Rockwell/Delta Contractors saw that is now.pushing 35-40 years old... It can do 99.95 percent of the things I do my my Cabinet Saw...

Major difference is the Delta still has its stock Fence..and I ordered the Jet direct from the factory with a real Biesmeyer....AND the fence is most likely what I like about the Cabinet saw...

A Good contractors saw with a good fence will make any ex-craftsman TS owner/user smile so much his jaws will hurt for days...

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.

Hey!! I resemble that remark.

I dumped my craftsman for a 10" Delta contractor's saw w/52" Biesemeyer fence about 2 years ago and have no regrets.

-- Al

Reply to
Al Reid

============== I just was over at Sears and I looked at that Fence....up close and personal...

Now I have owned a 50 in Biesmeyer "Homeshop" fence for a good 15 years ordered it direct from jet when I ordered my cabinet saw...

The Sears fence IS...it realy IS the Biesmeyer Homeshop Fence...

Rails are slightly smaller then the Commercial Version and the Fence itself is "only" 36 inches long... the Comercial version is 40 inches long...since most Tablesaws have 27 in long tables...the 36 inch fence still hangs off the end...

BTW after 15 years "my" Bies now required 3 ounces of downforce to lock the fence down dead solid....15 years ago it only required 2.5 Ounces of force... damn cam is showing signs of wear...do not know how long I will be able to exert that extra ounce of force ..

That said...... I would pass on the saw....

Bob Griffiths

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.

on 3/15/2005 12:29 PM Bob G. said the following:

Get some braces. You wouldn't want to develop carpal tunnel syndrome.

Thanks for the info. Any particular things jump out at you with regard to quality issues on the saw?

I took a look at it when was in there for something else and it looked pretty decent to me and, as someone else commented a couple weeks ago, the fence and the blade are worth an easy $300 so that makes the "bare" right now worth about $550 since the combo is on sale right now.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

: Cabinet saw vs. Contractor saw? What is the difference/preference. : Portability? Our shop area is not large. My husband often moves his : equipment around for better access. Would he be better off with the : "contractor saw"?

A contractor's saw is lighter than a cabinet saw, but they're both too heavy to lift, and neither is too heavy to mover around on a mobile base.

A cabinet saw takes up less floorspace than a contractor's saw (with an equivalent length fence rail). (This is because the contractor's saw has the motor hanging out the back).

A cabinet saw can be hooked up to a dust collector easily. A contractor's is open at the back (because the motor hangs out there), so some rigging is needed to make dust collection effective.

A cabinet saw has the motor mounted independently of the table, so it's easier to align the top and the blade.

All that said, fine work can be done on a contractor's saw, but if you can afford it, the cabinet saw is an intrinsically better design.

-- Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss

I just bought the $650 version of the Sears saw. It was on sale for $600. I got another 10% off for being a Craftsman Club member. Sears had also sent me a flyer for 10% off during a preview day. They honored that also. total price ended up being $485 plus tax. There was also a mail in rebate included for a 60 tooth blade, a dado blade, and a dado insert. Haven't seen those yet, but they are on order. That seems like on hell of adeal to me!

After using the saw for a bit, I really like it.It's not a Unisaw, but it's plenty good enough for me. I've added a Incra TSIII system from my old saw and a thin kerf Forrest WWII. With this setup it cuts smooth as glass and is very accurate. I tested it on some old 2" white oak and had no problems with power.

In my opinion this is definately the best "hybrid" saw on the market and well worth considering.

Reply to
VirgilJ

If it's Crapsman I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole!

Reply to
WD