Sumi ink for ebonizing

I've read a lot about using India ink for ebonizing wood, such as red oak, but also found Sumi ink at my local art store. It is very black, and quite a bit cheaper than India ink. From what I find on the internet, Sumi ink is made from vegatable oil soot, and is used for caligraphy and drafting. Was wondering if anyone else has used this for ebonizing? I plan to apply polyurethane for the finish coat. Think it will work?

Reply to
Chuck