I doubt that anyone else will run into this "hazard" but just in case...
I'd been waiting for a sale on the Jet Air Filtration unit at the local
Menards for quite a while. It finally went on sale for about $189 so I
bought it. Somehow I managed to get my wife to help me install it in my
shops ceiling. The plan was for me to lift it up and hold it against the
ceiling while she drove the screws into the ceiling. As I lifted it above my
head and was positioning it over the predrilled holes in the ceiling the
electrical cord slipped off the top of the unit where I had laid it and
before I knew what was happening or could move (not that I could move very
far or very fast while holding this beast over my head) it poked me right in
the eye. The result was a trip to the emergency room (these kind of things
only happen on weekends) and about 6 trips to the eye doctor. The doctor
bills cost me about $300 out of pocket. So much for waiting for a good sale.
I still enjoy my $500 air filter though. The funny thing is that I'm
religious about putting on my safety glasses when I use power tools. I never
expected this though. Now that you know, you can keep an eye out for this
hazard (pun intended).
Believe it or not, I once saw a e eye injury caused by putting on safety
glasses. The earpiece poked the guys eye while putting them on. He
bruised his eyeball and it had one of those little plastic burrs on the end
of the glasses from the moulding process that scratched his cornea.
I once knew a copier repair guy who got his cornea scratched by a stripper's
pastie at his bachalor party the night before his wedding. His mother in law
to be was the ER nurse at the hospital that we took him to. His wedding
photos all have him with a huge bandage and eye patch. We got him a sword
and a fake parrot for his reciption. Mom in Law was happy to explain to all
that he was being punished for putting his face somewhere that it should not
Not at all a shop accident, but a stupid one just the same... a friend of
mine in Goose Creek South Carolina was teaching a hunter safety course on
the Naval Weapons Station a few decades ago, following the class he was
walking out of the building, across a parking lot when he tripped on a log
that defined the edge of the lot... you guessed it, the barrel of his rifle
poked him between his nose and eyeball, causing a severe "scratch" on his
eye. He survived, and was even asked to come back and trach the course
Sounds like something I'd do. Got 13 stitches that classified as a "table
saw injury" at the emergency room, even though the blade was off and the saw
wasn't plugged in ... I was installing an overarm blade guard.
A couple months ago I got a hand injury putting away my safety
glasses. The company I work for installed little lockers like post
office boxes to store safety glasses in. End of day, reached in to
put glasses in and sliced the heck of the back of my thumb on a sharp
sheared edge of locker.
Whiskey Echo Sierra Sierra AT Gee Tee EYE EYE dot COM
Time to hang your safety glasses on the door knob on the
outside of your shop, just so you won't forget.
Condolences on the accident.
Proud (occasional) maker of Hungarian Paper Towels.
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.