Storm Brewing at FWW

Absolutely correct. However a product that requires lots of steps and takes longer to apply and cure as opposed to one that is a simple 2 or 3 step process and applies and cures in a short period of time with the same end results tends to be inferior by comparison. Time is money.

Reply to
Leon

If I recollect also, Chris is a chemist by training and his reviews tend to concentrate on such issues more than pure aesthetics by which many others judge more heavily. I got the new issue yesterday and looked at it quite briefly--that glance reinforces my previous thinking---

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Well that explains a lot. I has a chemist visiting this weekend. Despite knowing more than is sane about the chemistry of alkanet root mordants or turpentine pyrolysis, he just paints _everything_ with black poly.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

"Leon" wrote in news:EOzte.156$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com:

Amen. And Leon's comment goes to the tendency of a fellow named Murphy to be your partner, whether you want him to be or not.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

If you think that we are having trouble understanding the results, you should visit the FWW website and check out the discussions that are going on there.

It is quite enlightening.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)

(website)

Reply to
Tom Watson

there is some of that at play here. there is also some of the other- the magazine covering it's own economic ass...

you realize of course that you have just placed yourself in the "in the know anti in the know" group....

very true

ayup. but minwax poly will still look like cheap poly in the hands of a pro....

Reply to
bridger

I hadn't looked, but I can imagine... :)

It's as sorry an article in general as I can recall in FWW (and I've subscribed since early in Vol 2)....and somewhat surprising as I've thought most of Minick's previous writing pretty lucid.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 15:51:08 -0700, the opaque snipped-for-privacy@all.costs spake:

I don't think Taunton needs to worry about finances. They're good guys fighting the good fight and have high enough prices on all their items to keep themselves clearly in the black forever. They cover 4 very tight niches quite well.

Agreed.

Not necessarily true. Poly looks quite nice when put on in thin, even coats. The last time I used poly was some Diamondthane (or whatever it was called 30 years ago) on my kitchen cabinet doors. It popped the grain so well in the lauan that it looked like real mahogany. I spent many an hour prepping it, cleaning it, and laying it down evenly. After I deglossed it with Scotchbrite, I used lemon oil as a topcoat. It looked great (even after I sobered up, so you know I wasn't a pro.) ;)

I have a feeling that even MinWhacked wiping poly might look good if applied properly.

-------------------------------------------- -- I'm in touch with my Inner Curmudgeon. --

Comprehensive Website Development ============================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Since so many are bitching, it sounds like it was a pretty balanced/fair article.

Lou

Reply to
loutent

I didn't bitch, but I skipped the article. :-)

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

Has your account been hacked?

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Do you think they are bending to the people buying the ads? I sometimes think that is the reason for some of these comparision articles. Home made (or commodity) finishes rarely finish first.

I hope it is not so thin of a veil here but could be.

Reply to
sahuey

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 19:29:58 GMT, the opaque B a r r y spake:

LOL! No, I've simply seen far too many -extremely- poor applications of poly; I'd say right about the 95% level.

-------------------------------------------- -- I'm in touch with my Inner Curmudgeon. --

Comprehensive Website Development ============================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

That's how my last application of poly came out. About 95% level. :-)

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

It'd be a waste of time evaluating a something which didn't have a consistent recipe.

Gawd I love conspiracy theories.....

Reply to
George

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 22:41:10 -0500, the opaque Patriarch spake:

Thank you for providing immediate and unrefutable proof, Glen. ;)

-------------------------------------------- -- I'm in touch with my Inner Curmudgeon. --

Comprehensive Website Development ============================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 10:40:21 -0700, the opaque Larry Jaques spake:

Perhaps I should qualify that: proof of poor poly papplication, pard. Namaste.

----- = Dain Bramaged...but having lots of fun! =

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

A friend of mine on another project in another medium coined a phrase you'll love: "never underestimate the power of a moron with a conspiracy theory."

Reply to
LRod

"And all God's sentient children say: 'AMEN'!" j4

Reply to
jo4hn

In my experience (25 years+ in the publishing industry) it's the opposite.

Much more likely is that they have a planned editorial calendar and their ad department uses it to sell advertising. For some mags, that calendar could be set a year in advance. It gives their sales force a fairly powerful tool to use when talking to advertisers.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone