Storing sheet goods, how do you do it?

I have my boards stickered in corner of shop and I noticed that the space above them would be usefull to use to put my sheet goods up at.

So I built a frame to hold my sheet goods, with joists attached to each stud holding up my garage, er shop, supported at the other end.

I put a sheet of 1/2 osb on bottom to form a base to hold the rest of the stuff. BTW, HD, 1/2 osb is selling at 12.99 in northern michigan. I should have bought a few bunks this winter rather than fund my 401K.

The first few sheets of goods nested well but eventually I ran into my supply of wide and short and narrow but long.

How do you deal with this? Do you have a bunch of 1/4, 1/2, 5/8, 3,4 stickers or do you just let things droop?

The next thing I learned is that all the moveable tools like join(T?)er, tablesaw, bandsaw need to be near wood pile so I can move them to the other bay to facilitate moving wood to get to what I need.

There goes shop plan #1.

Thanks,

Wes

Reply to
clutch

I have a rack, on casters that stores 4x8s vertically on the 8' side and I can roll it around to where I will be using the stuff, or out of the way. It is 1" tube steel. I also end up with sheet metal and other bulky items in there.

Reply to
Gfretwell

This may/may not apply to your situation, but might spawn some ideas:

Chris Merrill

I built an area in my small shop to hold sheet goods vertically. Near the top, on one side is an adjustable stop to keep them from leaning over. The bottom is masonite that is waxed, so stuff slides in like it's on rollers.

dave

snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

I have four 4x4 posts 2 feet apart anchored to a 10' ceiling. 18" pieces of iron pipe on opposite sides of each 4x4 provide 'shelves' to store 4/4, 8/4, etc. lumber by species and also provides the necessary weight to anchor the base. From each base I have 2 1/2' of 4x4 extending out. From each extension I have 2 1/2' of 4x4 extending up, vertically. I store all my sheet goods vertically in that extended section. I haven't used anything for a base on the horizontal extension and haven't had any problem inserting/removing sheet goods. My problem is what to do with all the odd sizes that are too good to throw away and too awkward to store???

Reply to
Frank Mutchler