Starting a furnituremaking business

Doesn't mean that the practice is not valid.

Reply to
J. Clarke

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 13:09:37 -0400, "philmfx" vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Better and more diligent communication would help, for a start....

***************************************************** Marriage. Where two people decide to get together so that neither of them can do what they want to because of the other one.
Reply to
Old Nick

I had a website up, but the last ISP change hosed it. It needed updating anyway, and I haven't gotten around to it.

I mostly make cabinets, but I do get in the occasional furniture piece.

Reply to
bridger

absolutely.

no harm in offering extra features to a wealthy customer though..... at the appropriate price, of course.

Reply to
bridger

To coin a phrase, absolutely. I have one well off local lady who I always offer a plain vanilla and a "gussied " up version of each design . She has yet to pick the vanilla version ...........mjh

Reply to
Mike Hide

My wife has an interesting saying , that being " you sleep with dogs and you are bound to get fleas" mjh

Reply to
Mike Hide

I have a saying--if the customer won't buy at 50 bucks but will buy at 100 bucks then that's his problem.

mjh

Reply to
J. Clarke

Aww, c'mon, don't be bashing the lawyers, we ain't all that bad. Everybody hates lawyers until they get indicted, then they're your best friend.

That said, here's a lawyer joke:

What's the difference between a Lawyer and a Rooster?

A Rooster clucks defiance.

Mutt.

Reply to
Mutt

I wouldn't buy a $50 Record plane. I would buy a $99 Lie Nielsen plane.

Guess that's my problem.

Reply to
U-CDK_CHARLES\Charles

"U-CDK_CHARLES\\Charles" wrote in news:APtUc.3841$_w.2261@trndny04:

My problem is that every once in a while, I forget, and waste $50 on a Record plane. And every time I pick up a quality tool, I think that it was a good investment.

Certain things are expenses. Certain things are investments. Not all returns on investments are measured in dollars.

A successful furniture maker will understand what his potential customer is seeking, and decide if he or she can deliver on that expectation.

I came to a realization in the data networking business about ten years ago. At least two thirds of the problems to be solved were, at their core, not technical problems. Many were problems of understanding what people needed, and could not clearly communicate.

A successful business person, in any endeavor, must be able to listen, and understand.

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

Reply to
nospambob

You don't need stupid customers

Could be, I have 5 Record planes and they seem to work for me .....mjh

Reply to
Mike Hide