Stanley #42 W Pistol Grip Saw Set Question.

I have an incomplete model missing the gizmo that screws (6-32 UNC) into the main body at an angle above the tooth setting piston. Does anyone have a detailed description/photo and what is its function?

Any info much appreciated, John.

Reply to
John Wilson

If the 42W is the same as the 42, the only piece coming close to that description is the anvil. A piece of steel, as wide as the slot by 1/4" thick by 1-1/8" long, with the top part beveled at the same angle as the plunger face. Adjusts up and down to regulate the amount of set.

Hold the phone - I've got a 42W in the drawer as well. That piece you're missing is a piece of flat steel, about 3/8" by 3/8", with a slot from one side to allow it to adjust up and down on the screw. From the side opposite the slot there is a narrow steel finger projecting about 1/4". The finger is bent at an angle, so that when the piece is installed with the finger downward, the finger is roughly parallel to the travel of the plunger. I can't find the instructions for that set right now, but it looks to me as though the piece serves as a stop for determining the height of the tooth when the sides of the set body won't do the job - such as on a circular saw blade or a blade with tooth spacing that won't allow the set body to rest on the top line of the teeth. Make sense?

The set isn't that old, and I'd be surprised if Stanley doesn't still have parts and instructions for it.

John Martin

Reply to
JMartin957

My pix wouldn't come out, so I'll try to describe it if I can. There is a wheel with tooth per inch markings that is held in place by a pair of knurled knobs that the piston approaches when the handles are squeezed. Other than that there is a piece of angled steel that the piston passes through as it approaches the wheel. It has graduation lines on it that line up with the main body and restrict the amount of set that can be placed on the saw. I know that's a lousey description, but I hope it helps. Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
dave in fairfax

Thanks for your reply Dave. I know about the use and parts of most saw sets but this one is new to me. If you visit item # 3287980225 on eBay now there is a somewhat unclear picture of what I am talking about. This is the link if it not filtered out

John.

My pix wouldn't come out, so I'll try to describe it if I can. There is a wheel with tooth per inch markings that is held in place by a pair of knurled knobs that the piston approaches when the handles are squeezed. Other than that there is a piece of angled steel that the piston passes through as it approaches the wheel. It has graduation lines on it that line up with the main body and restrict the amount of set that can be placed on the saw. I know that's a lousey description, but I hope it helps. Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
John Wilson

-snip-

Sounds like you are describing the "Circular Saw Attachment" that is shown on page 10 of the Stanley Repair Parts Catalog, Key No:

10, Part Number 15-042-20. (my copy may be out of date, so take the page number with a grain of salt)

The Repair Parts Catalog is available in PDF format on the Stanley website:

Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Reply to
Tom Veatch

I think you are talking about the Circular Saw Attachment. Check the Stanley Repair Parts Catalog at

Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Reply to
Tom Veatch

Thanks guys, especially for the catalogue link. John.

I think you are talking about the Circular Saw Attachment. Check the Stanley Repair Parts Catalog at

Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Reply to
John Wilson