stair stringer - splicing'

Hi all. I have a stair stringer that is about 3.3m long x 10" wide. If I was to buy say 3 pices of 2m x 1" lengths of a hardwood eg oak or beech. Can they be spliced together to form a 2" thick x 3.3m stringer?

Thanks.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur2

Why?

**
**

B A R R Y

I might get lucky and source 3 shorter pieces cheaply and avoid calling Trav & Perks and pay a fortune for a piece of 3.3m long x 10" x 32mm.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur2

1.) Your staircase will end up 2" narrower. 2.) The joint(s) will be visible.

If both are worth the savings, go for it! Since the stringers are often attached to walls, I'm sure the laminations will be strong enough.

**
**

B A R R Y

Your mixing of English and Metric units is messing with my head. I can think in either, but translation is a pain.

Assuming you are talking about end-to-end butt joints instead of scarf joints, the resulting stringer would only be half as strong in the area of the joints as a solid member. If you want to go that route, I think you should buy at least 4 pieces so you can make the stringer 3" thick to strengthen the joints. You would probably not save any money that way though.

DonkeyHody "In theory, theory and practice are the same, but in practice they are not."

Reply to
DonkeyHody

I think your messing with us. If you are in the U.S., it's known as 1X10 or

2X10. A board has three dimensions and I can't determine the third dimension on your description.

I do work in either system as required, so I understand metric. Sometimes, we show both dimensions in both systems.

Oak is not an expensive wood here. It also is not very desirable in many cases. Cherry, maple, or walnut get's my attention.

Quarter-sawn white oak is expensive and is desirable in many cases. Some of it is just plain ugly though.

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

I am seeing the joins like this. top down view. aaaaaaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbaaaaaaaaaaaaaa bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

If the pieces are put thru a thicknesser so they are all perfectly flat I think by using a cascamite type glue on the whole joining areas, it would be strong enough.

I would use a base rail to cover the long joins. And then a bit of creativity to conceal the joins on the exposed side of the string.

Well would you be happier with this solution or the set of stairs being sold on ebay where the stringer is 27mm whitewood with 22m mdf treads?

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur2

Hi all. I have a stair stringer that is about 3.3m long x 25cm wide. If I was to buy say 3 pieces of 2m x 2.5cm lengths of a hardwood eg oak or beech. Can they be spliced together to form a 50mm thick x 3.3m stringer?

Sorry for confusing some..

Arthur in the UK.

Reply to
Arthur2

You are still posting two dimensions for a three dimensional object. My answer would be "yes if the third dimension is about 200 mm."

Jim

Reply to
Jim

No, they cannot.

No matter how you splice them, you can't possibly make a double-thickness lamination any longer than 3 meters from 3 pieces only 2 meters long.

If you want a total length of 3.3 meters, you need three pieces averaging at least 2.2 meters long.

If you do *that*, and splice them together like so AAAAAAAABBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCAAAAAAAA then you'll be fine.

Reply to
Doug Miller