Somewhat OT: Removing Caulk from Clothes

Greetings.

A little OT but kind of in the ballpark. Anyone have any experience with that outdoor, siliconized, latex, paintable caulk? In particular, anyone know how to get it off of jeans once it's dried? It would peel, if it hadn't gotten in between the fibers.

Yeah, I know ... this isn't woodworking and it's probably a question for SWMBO, but ... well, if you don't know the answer could you ask her for me??

Thanks.

Tom (with ruined jeans and an upset SWMBO)

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
Tom Thomas

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Well, since its paintable, perhaps you could paint it the same colour as the pants!

Reply to
Rob Mitchell

I got bathroom caulk on a pair of pants when I was trying to repair the seal around the tub. 10+ washings later it's still there. These are the pants I wear to the Borg so everyone knows I belong in places like that. ;-)

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

You're a mean man Mr. Grinch. er Rob...

Try Isopropyl alcohol (Rubbing alcohol). I seem to remember it working. I've got it on clothes - think washing them several times got it out. Or maybe it made it worse... hmmm was a while ago... can't really remember.

Next just pee on them - then you can use ammonia or vinegar.

Anyway - Kansas State U has a PDF document on "Spot and Stain Removal for Washable Fabrics" Try to find that - no URL no try google.

We found that document when my daughter left a ball pen in her clothes and used the dryer.

Cruelty thy name is wreckers. :-) good luck.

Reply to
Will

Those have now become your official paint and caulk pants.

Reply to
Leon

If they are a pair of pants SWMBO bought you A) Run to store buy new ones of the same brand B) Change in public restroom C) On way home throw old ones in charity bin C) Never tell her If they are just work pants they are now on the way to becoming waterproof

Chris Melanson

Reply to
Chris Melanson

white vinegar or or see the post by Chris M.

Reply to
Ray V

Here is the link to the KSU pdf document Will had suggested.

this helps. Rick

Reply to
RampRat

Hi Tom,

I've read the other responses to your situation. I think I have the answer.. Well, two answers...

First - Monday is Valentines Day... Buy the wife something good....

-------

Second - I have ended up with latex paint, caulking etc on Black Jeans "at work".. A little soap and water and a wire brush does a pretty good job. I've gotten dried latex paint out without destroying the fibres. Denim has a bunch of ridges, and the wire brush get's down deep enough to scrape out the gunk.

Pat

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
SawDust (Pat)

This has to be the best suggestion yet.

In Canada we now have a Purdy's Chocolates store in the new Vaughn Mills Shopping centre near 400 hwy.

Str> Hi Tom,

> The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
Will

Thanks all for some good suggestions and a lot of Saturday morning chuckles. Based upon a combination of the responses I have decided to:

  1. Remember to change clothes in the future before starting a project and dedicating these jeans to all such future projects.

  1. Trying some of the stain removal tactics (I've already tried quite a few of them and this is some tough stuff!) and ultimately probably replacing the pants.

  2. Logging onto that online, romantic teddy bear place for a guaranteed Valentines day delivery of cute bear and candy that costs three or four times the price of the jeans (ack!).

Again, thanks for the ideas.