Re: Removing Caulk

Fein has a couple of scraper blade for the Multimaster that are designed for removing caulk. The are actually chisel like blades which you can sharpen that vibrate side-to-side and cut right through caulk. I've used it on cured polyurethane with good results.

http://www.fe> I guess the moral of this story is that it's always possible to learn the hard > way.

A roofing contractor calls me frequently to do follow-up carpentry after his > roofing jobs, and this one was to replace the cedar trim around some windows > in a mansard roof. When I checked the job out and gave a price, I didn't > notice that the roofers had caulked the flashing to the rotten cedar that I had > to remove, on the 8 windows, all along the top, which in some cases was > 12 feet. When I started the job, first thing I found out is that cured poly- > urethane sealant is practically impregnable to razor knives, chisels, or > scrapers. > To simply tear the wood off the flashing was impossible, the flashing > would've been bent to smithereens, so after an hour of research on the cell > phone I bought one of those flame diverters for propane torches and > modified it into a scraper shape on the end and mounted it to the torch > tip with small hose clamps. It was very effective in separating the caulk > from the flashing, but what a time consuming mess! The caulk would > begin smoldering and spluttering and throwing off little blobs ( I have the > burn blisters to prove it) andproduce the most noxious fumes imaginable > which were hard not to breathe being up on a scaffold. I hadn't included > the cost of a hazmat outfit in the job. And then there was the cleanup, > because the burned caulk turned into a permanent, gooey mess and got > all over the equipment. The moral being, small details are the most > important aspect of bidding jobs. By the way, is there such a thing as > an electrically heated scraper for removing caulk? >
Reply to
PC

Thanks for the tip, literally, I suppose.

Reply to
BUB 209

Yes, a knife cutter is a popular attachment for most soldering guns. Less of a fire hazard, too.

I have an ancient Weller with a linoleum cutter blade which would work even better for your purpose, although I can't find a source online.

-- Ernie

Reply to
Ernie Jurick