Some results of experimenting with soap stone. (Prelude to carving details in wood.)

Oops - Sorry about that. The link you provided seems a bit pricey but I didn't look up the impedance/torque/brand of the stepper motors. One of the more popular vendors among the CNC groups is:

and McMaster-Carr are also reasonable sources for ACME lead screws and nuts, either solid or ball, and machined steel drill shafts and bushings of every description. Carbon steel lead screws wear fast but are acceptable for experimenters:
of the stepper motors, controllers and power supply, along with the purely mechanical components, are dependant on what speeds, loads, and accuracy you require out of the machine. Planning is essential. I'd check out the CNC groups such as CNCZone for hints and tricks on DIYing a CNC machine.

There is tons of software available. As for controller software, TurboCNC is sort of free for non-commercial use but runs under DOS. Master5 is another and runs under Windoze and includes a device driver that supposedly deals with the Win API exclusive port access issue which causes inconsistent timing. (Steppers are a bit jerky.) Yeager Automation used to offer controller software but the link I have is dead.

Then you have ArtCam, GibbsCAM, DelCAM, MasterCAM, NCPlot and a few other G-Code generators that plug into popular CAD programs such as SolidWorks. Other programs will display your g-code and toolpaths in visual 3D form so that you can check for tool interference and such.

FWIW,

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

same, Whether you're throwing around a 10HP across a 10-ft table or a 1 hp minirouter on a table-top. Up, down, sideways. back and forth pretty much sums it up. Small table-top devices can be a hoot to work/play with and can come up with some pretty cool results. It is obvious that duty and project size determine your needs.

If there is one thing that I read, consistently, is that brushed router motors (aside from being noisy) are not really designed to run for long periods of time. The duty cycle is ...what.. 1/2 hour max, in a router table? Spindles will run for weeks on end and are designed to do so. But... would you hang an expensive spindle on a MDF frame, and then try to push it around with 240 oz/in steppers? It seems that the whole CNC thing goes up in doubles. You can have a lot of fun for about a g-note. To notice a markedly better performance, 2K. Then 4, 8, 16, 32... you get the picture.

You can have a lot of fun for $3K US..

with Vectric V-Carve Pro (Aspire's kid brother) As Greg pointed out, you're nowhere near done by buying that kit. The rest really adds up in a hurry.

Reply to
Robatoy

Hmmm... what I see, is 2 y axis steppers, one z axis stepper and no X axis stepper.

Okay, I'm being a dick here... but for me, I operate the table from the end, so the long axis is Y, the across axis is X.

I do have another settings file which flips everything 90 degrees...but my brain doesn't work that way..for some reason.

I have said this before... I don't think like other people.

Reply to
Robatoy

Oops - sorry, I wasn't chewing you out. They caught me by surprise by offering to sell a four motor plan set right beside a three motor package. Fried my calculator, so to speak.

Ok. Might be a good idea to lurk a bit on the CNC metalworking group - those guys have a lot of good experience and occasionally post photos of interesting projects (for example: a cnc-milled steel boob for a bra manufacturer).

Be warned that this CNC stuff can make you lose sleep, think weird thoughts, and twist your sense of humor in strange ways. If you haven't seen the video of robatoy's chicken spinner, you should. I, myself, have kept most of my marbles in the basket - but I'm still working on my weapons-grade CNC pie thrower...

:)

Reply to
Morris Dovey

On Nov 9, 8:43=A0pm, Morris Dovey wrote: [snipped some good advice from Morris for Dave.]

but wait! There's more!

Which begs the questions: "What kind of pie?" and "How far?"

I'm surprised jo4hn isn't doing the CNC boogie yet. He's used to talking to parcels full of electronics from far, far awaaaayyy!

Reply to
Robatoy

I find these places helpful:

Robatoy

Comes with Vectric V-Carve Pro (Aspire's kid brother)

Looks like a nice unit, but I'd prefer to build one myself considering that all the parts, pieces and documentation are available. It's the best way for me to learn.

Reply to
upscale

No problem, do that already.

Don't have one as many people here will attest to.

You mean how to create a CNC built pie trebuchet?

Reply to
upscale

On Mon, 9 Nov 2009 08:33:07 -0800 (PST), the infamous Robatoy scrawled the following:

I made it to 56 last August. Getting away from the countertops is easy. Just hire guys to do ALL the work for you. You do the easy stuff, the billing and other paperwork a couple hours a day and play the rest of the time. What's so tough?

Fat chance. They're worse that _Scotsmen_, fer chrissake!

-- The Smart Person learns from his mistakes. The Wise Person learns from the mistakes of others. And then there are all the rest of us...

Larry Jaques

On Mon, 9 Nov 2009 08:24:54 -0800 (PST), the infamous Robatoy scrawled the following:

Here's what happens to yaks who don't play by my rules: I hand 'em their head

Double it for the next set of pomposities. And start marking off that Bucket List, boy!

A friend just sent this to me, entitled "Deer for breakfast, anyone?"

ROTFLMAO!

-- The Smart Person learns from his mistakes. The Wise Person learns from the mistakes of others. And then there are all the rest of us...

Larry Jaques

On Mon, 09 Nov 2009 11:53:55 -0600, the infamous Morris Dovey scrawled the following:

Just do 3 things:

1) Line up customers for output from the machine.

2) Pry your credit card out and do the one buy. (I just did that with the computer. This old one is dying and I needed to upgrade, so I went $555.97 into hock for a new one.)

3) Make the parts and rake in the cashish.

(Oh, if only it were that easy...)

I just won an eBay auction for a new book, _The 4-hour Work Week_. I'll be [five, five, five] shortly, I hope. ;)

-- The Smart Person learns from his mistakes. The Wise Person learns from the mistakes of others. And then there are all the rest of us...

Larry Jaques

Which begs the questions: "What kind of pie?" and "How far?"

----------------------------------------------------- This one will work.

It's from America's Test Kitchens as modified by me.

Easy and delightful. (Only has top crust)

Leave it in the skillet when used as a projectile.

Flavorful Skillet Apple Pie

Serves 6 to 8

Crust Ingredients:

+1 Cup, Unbleached all-purpose flour (5 ounces), plus more for + dusting work surface +1 Tbl, Sugar +1/2 tps, Salt +2 Tbl, Shortening , chilled +6 Tbl, Cold unsalted butter (3/4 Stick), cut into 1/4-inch pieces
  • 3-4 Tbl, Ice water

  • 1 egg white , lightly beaten

  • 2 tps, Sugar

Crust Directions:

Pulse flour, sugar, and salt in food processor until combined.

Add shortening and process until mixture has texture of coarse sand, about ten 1-second pulses.

Scatter butter pieces over flour mixture and process until mixture is pale yellow and resembles coarse crumbs, with butter bits no larger than small peas, about ten 1-second pulses.

Transfer mixture to medium bowl.

Sprinkle 3 tablespoons ice water over mixture.

With blade of rubber spatula, use folding motion to mix.

Press down on dough with broad side of spatula until dough sticks together, adding up to 1 tablespoon more ice water if dough does not come together.

Turn dough out onto sheet of plastic wrap and flatten into 4-inch disk. Wrap dough and refrigerate 30 minutes, or up to 2 days, before rolling out.

(If dough is refrigerated longer than 1 hour, let stand at room temperature until malleable.)

Filling Ingredients:

  • 1/2 Cup, Apple cider
  • 1/3 Cup, Maple syrup
  • 2 Tbl, Fresh lemon juice from 1 lemon
  • 2 tps, Cornstarch
  • 1/8 tps, Ground cinnamon
  • 2 Tbl, Unsalted butter
  • 2 1/2 Lbs, Sweet apples and tart apples (about 6 medium), peeled,
  • cored, halved, and cut into 1/2-inch-thick wedges (see note)

Note:

Use a combination of sweet, crisp apples such as Golden Delicious and firm, tart apples such as Cortland, Empire or Granny Smith.

Filling Directions:

Whisk cider, syrup, lemon juice, cornstarch, and cinnamon together in medium bowl until smooth.

Heat butter in 10" cast iron chicken fryer over medium-high heat.

When foaming subsides, add apples and cook, stirring 2 or 3 times until apples begin to caramelize, about 5 minutes.

(Do not fully cook apples)

Remove pan from heat, add cider mixture, and gently stir until apples are well coated.

Set aside to cool slightly.

  1. TO ASSEMBLE AND BAKE:

  • 1 egg white , lightly beaten

  • 2 tps, Sugar

Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position (between 7 and 9 inches from heating element) and heat oven to 500 degrees.

Roll out dough on lightly floured work surface, or between 2 large sheets of plastic wrap, to 11-inch circle.

Roll dough loosely around rolling pin and unroll over apple filling.

Brush dough with egg white and sprinkle with sugar.

With sharp knife, gently cut dough into 6 pieces by making 1 vertical cut followed by 2 evenly spaced horizontal cuts (perpendicular to first cut).

Bake until apples are tender and crust is a deep golden brown, about

20 minutes.

Let cool 15 minutes; serve.

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Au contraire, mon fr=E8re. That saw-horse is a Triton which I mini- reviewed quite some time ago. I dunno how I lived without it. Handiest thing ever. Handier than a bag of potato chips, handier than a pocket on a shirt.

Reply to
Robatoy

I keep going back looking at your bot. It fascinates me. However, I won't try to build one. Too many projects on the go now and too little time. (How come I then spend so much time writing drivel and posting it on the wreck.? A recently aqquired medical condition, that requires me to be seated for treatment at 4/5 hours every day - temporarily, I hope.) I thought about buying a mini version, but it would really be just another toy for me to play with. Got far too many of them as it is.

If I could think of a reason to use it commercially, perhaps providing employment for somebody, I'd go for the idea. Brilliant machines.

diggerop

Reply to
diggerop

Rob,

You bags came to the store instead of being drop shipped. I cannot remember your last name or company name to contact you (DOH!).

Please call the store.

David.

David F. Eisan

We entered those into inventory last month. Besides, if we hadn't had them by now, either you or the fine people at Fein would have heard by now LOL But if they're 'extra'...well then..

Reply to
Robatoy