Solid wood inlay in plywood tabletop

Sorry if this is a repost - problems with connections the first time.

I'm trying to build a plywood tabletop with a solid wood inlay in the center. Table is 60" diameter with 16" square inlay (red oak).

Any problems with differential movement? Best way to avoid problems?

Reply to
mlaviol

is it flat sawn?

Reply to
David

Inlay work into plywood should not be a problem other than chipout. Movement should be fine if you are using a thin inlay.

Dave

Teamcasa

Be very careful if you sand the top. The harder inlay pieces will sand down slower than the surrounding plywood veneer resulting in the plywood being lower than the inlay.

Reply to
Leon

Or sanding through the veneer completely! Don't ask me how I know......

Bryan

Reply to
DamnYankee