Re: Woodfiller for Inlay?

julvr wrote: : never worked with a scroll saw before, but I imagine even with a : scroll saw and a skilled hand it's very hard to make the two sides of : an inlay line up perfectly so there's no visible gap..

I've never worked with a scrol saw either, but I've seen someone (probably David Marks) show how to do inlay with one. It requires using two veneers, one for the inlay, one for the background. You tape them togehter and cut the pieces at the same time, with the table titled by few degrees. This gives a seamless inlay. But this won't work with solid stock.

: I was wondering if it was possible to just do the female part of the : inlay, and fill in the rest with some sort of putty (like : woodfiller), and then sand it smooth once dry. I would finish it : with polyurathane. The filler doesn't have to look like wood (in : fact if I could get a shiny black/red finish, so much the better).

Probably tinted epoxy is your best bet. There was an article in FWW or Woodwork in the last couple of years on building a table with a black pattern -- the tabletop was routed and then black epoxy was poured in, then leveled. I'm pretty sure you can tint epoxy with universal colors, but DAGS to double-check. And it can be polished to a pretty high shine.

I dunno if Polyurethane can topcoat epoxy -- you might want to try shellac instead.

: The area to be filled would be the four suits, each about three inches : high. The inlay would be done using 1/4 inch stock, so it's not very : deep. Three inches high -- do you mean they will stick up out of the table? Or do you mean they're three inches across?

-- Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss