Slightly OT: Draining Portable Air Compressors - Are We Just Kiddng Ourselves?

Not easily. Though inspection of our air tanks was mandated, the relief valves never were tested. Inspector would look at the rating and the tag. Boilers we could intentionally run up the pressure and make them blow or do a hydrostatic test.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Over 50 years I've seen a lot of rusted compressor tanks leak - but never explode. I've seen one that rubpured when it was hit under full pressure - but it was unspectacular. That's why they are not made of hardened or high strength steel. They can bend instead of shattering when they fail

-unlike PVC or abs piping.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Water in air tools can REALLY screw them up. Makes an awfull mess of a paintjob when it gets into a spray gun too -

- -

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Used to be that all "pressure vessels" in a work place required scheduled inspections - that's been gonefor a long time now.

I remember seeing the inspection tags on the compressor in the first shop I worked in - they were pretty old then already.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

construct a custom stand maybe out of wood

or just toss it and buy a new one they are under a 100 at hf

Reply to
Electric Comet

I used to work on Loran-C transmitters back when I was in the USCG. 15KV-DC plate voltage on the tubes. When a transmitter would begin to intermittently arc and we couldn't find it via a visual inspection, we'd hook the transmitter to the dummy load (vs. the tower), take the panels off the transmitter, turn off the lights in the T-bldg and run the sucker up to 20KV, 25KV, until it arcked for us. Then we'd clean out our pants and go fix the problem.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I had an "under a 100 at hf" compressor for years. The regulator, which never work very well to begin with, eventually stripped out. I bought the PC unit and 2 nail guns, NIB, for $120 on OfferUp about a month ago. This PC compressor is light years ahead of the HF. I don't know what you get for "under a 100 at hf" these days but I'll keep the PC.

I put the broken HF unit on Craigslist for free - including the fact that it was broken. My email started blowing up within 15 mins and didn't stop all day.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Didn't need to see that. Now I fear my compressor is going to kill me.

Reply to
Michael

Actually, this is the one that you didn't need to see.

DerbyDad03

The thing I see in common is thin tanks

At this point the only thing that is worse is exploding air bags.

Reply to
OFWW

The air bags weren't exploding, the inflators were.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Almost nothing is impossible.

Reply to
Leon

Air bags are an explosive device, the problem with those subjected to recall is corrosion welding the seam where it should split.

Reply to
Markem

But most likely no probable, given that you maintain your tools.

Reply to
Markem

probably as good as a pc if you bought one today but an old one might be a keepr unless you got rust problems

take the tank and have it tested if you are inclined

oh i thought the drain valve was purposefully placed away from the low spot to avoid rust problems at the weld

where as the smooth tank surface is less likely to have rust incursion

Reply to
Electric Comet

With the possible exception of Takata, I think your odds for survival would be far greater in the vicinity of of an "exploding air bag" than an exploding air compressor. "Somebody hold my beer..."

Reply to
Spalted Walt

What recall are you referring to?

If it's the Takata recall, often mistakenly referred to as an "airbag recall", it was not the airbags that were the problem, it was the inflator. The inflator and the air bag are 2 different parts.

In the Takata situation, it was the inflator itself that was breaking apart and shooting shrapnel at drivers and passengers.

If you know of another airbag related recall, specific to the airbags themselves, I'm all ears. I like to learn new things.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Nomenclature, that I did not follow that closely, seems a bit of a nit. But it was the seams of the "inflators" that corroded and caused the shrapnel was what Ford told me when they did the Ranger. No matter it is an explosive charge. Similar to the charges (impulse cartridges) use to kick bomb off of jets.

Reply to
Markem

Nomenclature? A nit? Really? Tell that to Takata, who manufactured the inflators, but not the airbags. The air bag and inflator are 2 separate parts and in most cases, only the inflator is replaced.

In any case, I'll give you some leeway, since it was "Ford" that apparently gave you incorrect information.

The seams of the inflator did not corrode. The problem was that the inflator's case *never* adequately prevented moisture from entering the inflator, thereby, over time, changing the chemical make up of the non-desiccated propellant. This caused the propellant to explode with more force than the inflator case was designed to withstand.

In fact, the "Case Structural Subsystem" was specifically designated as "Not a cause" in the independent analysis submitted to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

The *Sealing* Subsystem, along with the Ballistic Subsystem and the External Environment, are listed as the root cause, but that is a very different cause than "corroded seams" since the problem existed since day one of manufacture. Nothing ever "corroded".

It's all covered in this report, with the root cause (and non-causes) listed on Page 23:

DerbyDad03

Odd, the headlines all state, "Exploding air bags", so to use the generic term for it no one should be flamed unless nit picking is the order of the day.

Reply to
OFWW