Portable compressors

I want to get one of the new small wall mount/portable compressors. Sears and CH both make oil-free and oil-lubricated models for about the same money ($100). This will only be used for occasional brad/nailer, tire inflation, air nozzle, etc.

What should I look for? Is oil-lube more durable than oil-free?

Thanks.

Sears:

CH Ironforce:

DJA

yes, oil lube will last much longer.

bill

Reply to
bill a

Greetings,

I purchased an oil-free and it froze up on me after less than two years of use. I do not know if this is typical but it was my experience.

Hope this helps, William

PS: Is there any way to oil an oil-free compressor? I still have it.

Reply to
William Deans

I got this one at harbor freight for the same occasional use as you've mentioned (I have a full size one in the garage, but it's nice to have one you can tote around the house for nailing up trim, etc). Oil type,

4 gallon tank, 125 psi max. Haven't used it too much so far, but it seems to run my nailer, 1/2" impact wrench, air ratchet etc just fine. I did add a regulator to it (I had one, but you can get one at HF to add for a few bucks). For $90 it's hard to go wrong.

Dan

bill a wrote:

Reply to
Dan

I used an oil free on a 6 year aircraft construction project. I drilled something like 14,000 holes, deburred and/or countersunk 56,000 hole sides (at least), used a cut-off tool a bunch, and primed and painted every piece of the aircraft. In addition, I used the same compressor for a power nailer while building a very detailed 450' privacy fence and on various other projects. After 10 years, the compressor is still running fine.

I'm sure lots of variables impact the quality and durability of a compressor. The big difference (IMO) between oiled and oil-less compressors is the noise. Oil-less compressors are LOUD, but you can either build an enclosure, or deal with the noise if it is an occasional use tool.

KB

Reply to
Kyle Boatright

Campbell Hausfeld is a good brand. Get oil-lubricated with a cast iron pump--they last longer provided the unit is maintained properly.

Reply to
Phisherman

I have had a Campbell Hausfield unit for about 15 years and it still works fine. It doesn't get a lot of use but it sits unused in the basement and sometimes that can be just as bad as not using a tool. I use it for inflation of tires and air mattresses, maintaining my pressure tank, blowing out pipes and hoses, spray painting, blowing out dust and whatever. It's a handy tool to have. I'm not sure if it is oil free or not. But it has worked well with essentially no TLC. ds

Reply to
R.Smyth

I bought an oiless-tankless $100 job for the same light occasional use. Without the tank, there is no accumulation so the peak output is severely limited. I bought a small tank for about $25 + tube + Gauge + fittings with considerable improvment but still a Micky-Mouse sorry arrangement.

In retrospect I should have bought a oiled portable unit with tank for about $250. Repeatedly learning my lesson to buy quality tools or at least one grade above the lowest.

MG

Reply to
MG

Get an oil lube unit. (they last longer and are quieter then direct drive).

Hitachi makes a good >I want to get one of the new small wall mount/portable compressors.

Reply to
davefr

on 12/11/2004 9:28 AM MG said the following:

Yep. I can't tell you how many times I've done the same thing. I end up buying twice because I tried to save a buck the first time.

Reply to
DJA

on 12/10/2004 1:55 PM Dan said the following:

Dan, do you know how many amps that unit draws?

Reply to
DJA

I looked at the unit & original box, to my surprise it doesn't say. Can't find the booklet that came w/it. There's a formula for calculating watts based on HP rating (2) divide watts by rated volts (115) to get current, I don't know what it is off the top of my head. Email HF, they could probably tell you. I know I have not had any trouble running it on 15-20 amp household outlets. Box says it weighs

51#, if that's of importance. I think it's a nice unit, seems well made enough. Chinese, as most if not all would be in this price range.

Dan

DJA wrote:

Reply to
Dan