Attaching a portable dishwasher to the sink

Hi All,

I recently got an old Kenmore Ultra Wash II (model number 665.1761591). I tried to hook it up to my sink but discovered I could not. The hookup mechanism won't grab onto the kitchen sink's faucet. I assume I have to replace it with something.

Here's the faucet:

Here's the hookup:
Here's what it looks like when I try to put it on:
The latch is not catching, and it simply falls right off as soon as you aren't holding it up anymore. Turning the water on is out of the question, it would push it right off.

Any thoughts on this? Do I need a specific type of faucet in order to work with a specific type of hookup? Unfortunately I don't have a manual for this item... do I need to buy one, or are these sorts of hookups going to be fairly standard if I head over to a hardware store?

Thanks for any help!

-Josh

Reply to
joshbeall

You'll have to get a new one.

Bring the faucet screen screw-on thingie and the hose to a plumbing or home improvement store. They'll get you the correct male/female quick connect adapter for the faucet.

Reply to
Abe

Found the right one, now things work great! Thanks!

-Josh

Reply to
joshbeall

Be aware that these 'portable' DWs will often cause the faucet to start leaking at the O-ring where the spout pivots. This isn't a spot where there is normally a lot of water pressure, specifically what is caused when the electric solenoid valve 'slams' shut. Newer models actually have a slow-to-close valve that helps prevent this some. but even then, when the faucet is on and the DW is not filling, standard water pressure exists at that point in the faucet.

Keep an eye on it, particularly if it's an older faucet. Don't leave the water on at the faucet after the DW is finished (as in over night or while you are at work). A leak at this point can cause a lot of water in places you don't want a lot of water!

I've heard that some people actually install a hot-only spout in the sprayer hole of the sink - one that is fixed so there is no O-ring. Haven't seen it done myself, but it does sound like a reasonable idea.

Reply to
mwlogs