Slightly OT: Draining Portable Air Compressors - Are We Just Kiddng Ourselves?

I have a pancake style PC air compressor. The drain valve is partly up the side so that the unit has to be tipped - and balanced on one leg - in order to drain it.
There is no way that all of the water is draining out. Maybe if it was left tilted for hours it might drain completely, but the location of the valve, being so close to one leg, makes it impossible to leave it tilted.
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/rJpRvWux78I/maxresdefault.jpg
If the valve was centered between 2 legs you could easily prop the unit in the tilted position, but the way they designed the valve location makes that nearly impossible.
So, we drain what we reasonably can, then set the unit upright and some water is going to run back to the bottom of the tank. Even if the valve is left open, I doubt there is enough air circulation for the remaining water to evaporate before the next daily use.
It seems to me that the bottom of the tank is always going to be wet and therefore subject to rusting. Sure, less water means less surface area to rust, but if the very bottom of the tank is "under water" 100% of the time, 1/16" or 1/2" isn't going to make much difference at the very bottom, is it?
*If* the tank is going to explode due to rust, which is more dangerous:
Having a small area (the very bottom) that rusts out and blows or letting a larger area rust, spreading the release point over a larger area? Sure, it will probably still be a single point of failure, but if the area around the failure point is already weakened by rust, wouldn't the explosion be less violent?
On Mon, 4 Jun 2018 08:29:38 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Well you have some experimenting to do then! ;>
On Mon, 4 Jun 2018 08:29:38 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

There shouldn't be any explosion. If it rusts through it will at the first just bleed out air. Maybe air and water. If your pressure relief valve isn't working then replace it.
Oil less compressors are more subject to the rust problem because their is no oil vapors in the compressed air to coat the tank.
Depending on how often your compressor is in operation should control how often you drain it. If in continuous use I'd say about once a week, once a month if used frequently.
Most of those systems will have compressor failure before a rust failure.
On 6/4/2018 12:48 PM, OFWW wrote:

Right they "should" not, but these people seem to disagree with you
https://sites.google.com/site/metropolitanforensics/cause-of-explosion-of-air-compressor-tanks

Made me think a little different with these inexpensive things, Thanks.
On 6/4/2018 10:46 PM, OFWW wrote:

We used to have our industrial tanks inspected according to law in MA. They use an ultrasonic test and check multiple points on the bottom section of the tank. Of course, they are much thicker than the typical home compressor.
I would think you can find most problems just by tapping around with a metal rod and listening.

Although it might be wise to do this with an empty tank.
On Monday, June 4, 2018 at 1:49:26 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Didn't need to see that. Now I fear my compressor is going to kill me.
On Tuesday, June 5, 2018 at 7:52:13 PM UTC-4, Michael wrote:

Actually, this is the one that you didn't need to see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVP_A7eGYxw

On Tue, 5 Jun 2018 18:16:23 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

The thing I see in common is thin tanks
At this point the only thing that is worse is exploding air bags.
On Wednesday, June 6, 2018 at 1:01:18 AM UTC-4, OFWW wrote:

The air bags weren't exploding, the inflators were.
On Wed, 6 Jun 2018 04:17:44 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Air bags are an explosive device, the problem with those subjected to recall is corrosion welding the seam where it should split.
On Wednesday, June 6, 2018 at 12:29:48 PM UTC-4, Markem wrote:

What recall are you referring to?
If it's the Takata recall, often mistakenly referred to as an "airbag recall", it was not the airbags that were the problem, it was the inflator. The inflator and the air bag are 2 different parts.
https://tinyurl.com/inflator-diagram
In the Takata situation, it was the inflator itself that was breaking apart and shooting shrapnel at drivers and passengers.
If you know of another airbag related recall, specific to the airbags themselves, I'm all ears. I like to learn new things.
On Wed, 6 Jun 2018 14:40:13 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Nomenclature, that I did not follow that closely, seems a bit of a nit. But it was the seams of the "inflators" that corroded and caused the shrapnel was what Ford told me when they did the Ranger. No matter it is an explosive charge. Similar to the charges (impulse cartridges) use to kick bomb off of jets.
On Wednesday, June 6, 2018 at 7:36:07 PM UTC-4, Markem wrote:

Nomenclature? A nit? Really? Tell that to Takata, who manufactured the inflators, but not the airbags. The air bag and inflator are 2 separate parts and in most cases, only the inflator is replaced.
In any case, I'll give you some leeway, since it was "Ford" that apparently gave you incorrect information.
The seams of the inflator did not corrode. The problem was that the inflator's case *never* adequately prevented moisture from entering the inflator, thereby, over time, changing the chemical make up of the non-desiccated propellant. This caused the propellant to explode with more force than the inflator case was designed to withstand.
In fact, the "Case Structural Subsystem" was specifically designated as "Not a cause" in the independent analysis submitted to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
The *Sealing* Subsystem, along with the Ballistic Subsystem and the External Environment, are listed as the root cause, but that is a very different cause than "corroded seams" since the problem existed since day one of manufacture. Nothing ever "corroded".
It's all covered in this report, with the root cause (and non-causes) listed on Page 23:
https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.dot.gov/files/documents/orbital_atk_research_summary.pdf
On Wed, 6 Jun 2018 17:49:51 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
You know just take the attitude elsewhere.

With the possible exception of Takata, I think your odds for survival would be far greater in the vicinity of of an "exploding air bag" than an exploding air compressor. "Somebody hold my beer..." <
https://www.youtube.com/embed/7YG7L_D_lfQ?autoplay=1&start
&endD4&rel=0>

On Wed, 06 Jun 2018 20:02:13 +0000, Spalted Walt

http://money.cnn.com/2015/05/20/autos/takata-recall-list/index.html
Odd, the headlines all state, "Exploding air bags", so to use the generic term for it no one should be flamed unless nit picking is the order of the day.
On Wednesday, June 6, 2018 at 8:57:15 PM UTC-4, OFWW wrote:

Fake news.
On Wed, 6 Jun 2018 18:56:06 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

LOL, try typing it into your search engine. The link above was just one of many, and I am not denying that the explosive part of the air bag is the pertinent part, and that rust plays a key factor in it. But like the air compressor you never know when it will fail.