SketchUp7 users -"Dynamic" Kitchen Cabinet Face Frame components

Not the newest of newbies, it would seem. :)

Thanks!

Reply to
Morris Dovey

It's good, and it's fast for the initial rough out. There's still room for the middleweight systems. Mostly, it's the lack of "history" and committing to details too soon. I can't easily go back a few steps and adjust a smidge and then roll it forward again. Other times, it's the inferencing that guesses wrong and won't be corrected. Overall, though, it's a remarkably useful tool as it is, a huge step toward empowering the normal person to sketch up and document his world. For that alone, I'm very sure history will speak well of Google's achievements in these years.

So, what's your revenue stream with CAD? Are you just better able to communicate ideas? Save time by thinking through the details? How is SU making you $$?

Reply to
MikeWhy

"MikeWhy" wrote

Google is just standing on the shoulders of giants ... they bought out the company that created it.

Just a current example that's being worked on, with a bit of history behind it following ... caution, it's a 1.3mb download:

adjusted12-08.zip

The cabinets for this kitchen will be started in another week to ten days. The client lives in Austin, 170 miles from my shop, and I live in Houston. I've seen her only once in the two months since the design started, and most of that time was waiting on sinks and appliances to be purchased so the cabinets could be designed around them and fit into the space.

With the exception of the downdraft venting system for the stove top, which she has yet to be purchase (thus the real stove top model just sitting on top of the island counter top), the other appliances and sink are the actual products themselves from models taken off manufacturer's website and imported into SketchUp ... IOW, what she actually sees _is_ what she's getting, with her appliances in place.

Currently I'm waiting to finish the double oven cabinet and island cabinet design, but other than that, she has made her door and drawer front choices, where she wanted the appliances, where she wanted shelves, where she wanted the pantry, everything ... decisions all made by viewing the SketchUp model as I make her changes and put it online for her to download.

SketchUp is free ... she runs a Mac, no problem.

Mid design, she decided she wanted a kitchen "hutch", told me what she wanted, moved the location twice .. no problem, and where you see the "hutch" is the final spot. (maybe). :)

A side note with regard to the "kitchen hutch", I've already have a commission to build another, but stand alone, based solely on a relative having seen the one in the SketchUp kitchen model!

This kitchen is not one of my bigger kitchens, but will retail in excess of $60K, easily ... it is the direct the product of long distance collaboration using SketchUp, while many other projects are ongoing, much of the design done in the evening while SWMBO watches TV and I sit in an easy chair with my laptop, using a FREE program that more than gets the job done for what I need it for! :)

I could of spent $5K easily on another 3D "CAD" program, but I would still be learning the software months from now, instead of making money with it.

You asked ... :)

Reply to
Swingman

Sorry damn spell checker did not like that URL:

adjusted12-08.zip

Reply to
Swingman

"Swingman" wrote in news:UbKdnQ_

4D6j8zdDUnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Firefox says page not found on this too. Any better instructions how to download?

I'm intrigued by the description ...

Reply to
Han

Put < > around the link. The space between wall and adjusted is the problem.

Reply to
-MIKE-

"Han" wrote

It is the space in the file name that causing the problem, but it needs to be there. Just cut and paste everything from "h" to "p" in zip into your address bar. I'm using fire fox also and it works.

Reply to
Swingman

Even that is getting screwed up... some browsers will delete spaces in urls. You might want to put an underscore "_" in place of a space, in the original link. You must change it on your server, too, however. Like this:

now, it works if you cut-n-paste.

Reply to
-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote in news:gijjpb$766$ snipped-for-privacy@news.motzarella.org:

Thanks, Mike! I had to paste the space and following into the browser, then I could download the file.

Reply to
Han

"Swingman" wrote in news:rLGdnVDc-IzAztDUnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I am salivating so baaadly that I have to go see the dentist. Oh, no, that's because my tooth fell out again ...

Reply to
Han

To buy it and own it is one thing. To give it away freely with only the hope that you'll use it, that's something else.

adjusted12-08.zip

Angle brackets helps with word wrap and embedded spaces.

1.3 mb was nothing compared to the 33 mb update to sketchup 7. Wouldn't open in 6.

Maybe, but I think maybe not. Solidworks and Inventor are not much different for the types of things I would try to use Sketchup. What's important is that the tool doesn't get in the way. None are perfect; they all get in the way, just in different ways and places.

Sketchup had the benefit of letting your customer participate in the design. (Gawd. Talk about dual edge swords.)

Yup. Thanks.

Reply to
MikeWhy

It's the space in the filename that is causing the problem, just cut and paste the whole thing into your browser.

I use sketchup primarily just to visualize the big picture. The things I know I'm going to have to fight with it to do what I want, as much from my own lack of experience and not using it often enough to keep fresh with it, I just leave out. That way I can get a quick idea in literally a few minutes, spin the sucker around from different perspectives, throw on some dimensions and I have something I can refer back to in the shop. I don't need to have every detail laid out perfectly to get what I need from it.

This one I did fight with to get the model closer to a finished product, because I was really out in uncharted waters. But I didn't model any of the internal structure. And I did make changes that I didn't bother reflecting in the model because it would have been a PITA, but the point is the model got me to where I could get started on something I was having a hard time visualizing.

LEGEND65

Perfect. It suits your needs. In the end, that's all that matters. What matters for me, is that, after I do my presentation, and the customer and I work out the bugs, I can go straight to production... with the same files. I already spent the money on the software and became a 3D AutoCAD user

15+ years ago. I also found AutoCAD horribly awkward and non-intuitive. I need the ability to model, such as this:
when I make a presentation drawing for a custom big-dollar installation, it also has a complete Bill Of Materials, including slides, knobs and hinges. On a job like this:
having to duplicate over and over when customers make changes is an invaluable tool for me.

Sometimes you need a chisel, sometimes a Multi Router.

btw..eCabinet software is free also. Incredible value, especially when one can detach from the CNC cooperative and accomplish all this in house.

Robatoy

Gorgeous.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Likewise ... the Pro version is in hand. :)

use nothing but.

AutoSketch does that nicely/cheaply for me as I can edit/print .dwg files when necessary, which happens quite a bit.

Believe it or not, SU Pro does the same thing, including keeping track of colors on a wall by wall basis. Using dynamic components you can just let the customer choose/change the hardware, color, etc, from a drop down list, and all from the free version freely available to them. AAMOF, SU is extensible enough using Ruby, that most of the large, high dollar graphic folks have plug-in's readily available for high end rendering, etc.

There are also a world of architects involved in with program now, sort of surprised me, knowing what I know about architects. :)

on a computer ... it was basically a virus when I belonged to their "network" some five or six years back. Was glad to get it off the office computers.

Reply to
Swingman

I'd still like to see a way to do that common job done more simply.

Now about that threaded hole for the set screw... :)

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Seems to be better. I have only done a few jobs through that community, the fit and finish has been 'adequate'.

The software that turns my crank these days is Vectric's Aspire.

Reply to
Robatoy

Thanks Mike!

-Kevin

Reply to
LEGEND65

Reply to
Robatoy

"Robatoy" wrote

available as plug-ins to Sketchup at much less total cost (often free) than most in situ software.

You mean like these:

?f=81&t=15103and before and after:

discussion has been centered around SketchUp and its application for woodworkers. Most woodworkers would rarely need more than the above ... and it's certainly freely available if they do.

Reply to
Swingman