Sketchup grief

"doodle'

THIS is a Doodle.

that looks like a Dandy Doodle. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Weak, Leon. Weak.

You took this long to come up with that response??? ;~)

Reply to
Leon

It's not a graphics driver issue. Drivers abort with blue screens, not application aborts. All the same, the graphics drivers were updated recently, just a few weeks ago, to support additional CUDA and PhysX features. There are no other issues of any kind with any other application.

The SU website is a little odd. It doesn't list the version number or date of the latest update. I did check, but didn't find a version number, so I didn't update. As far as I could tell, it's the same version I already have.

No worries. I got the job done some other way. It was just as well. I wanted to see if SW can unroll a lofted, developed surface to a flat shape. I'm building a 14 ft. lap straked sailboat this summer, and wanted to preview the planking. It works well enough for simple shapes. If you're interested in such things.

Reply to
MikeWhy

It would be interesting to try the same thing on another computer with the same file.

Reply to
Leon

I am allowed to engage in casual banter without referring to that..that...that...you know..

Reply to
Robatoy

I was taking a nap.

Reply to
Robatoy

Since it matters to the discussion, it's an Nvidia 8800 GTS with up to date drivers. The box is a quad 2.8 GHz, 2 GB, and 2.4 TB (that's TeraBytes) of local storage. Very few boxes are bigger or faster. Without getting into words like "denial", in response to "least likely", I'll just point out that SU is tiny and trivial compared to other applications that run without difficulty for as much as 16 hours a day, each day. I know quite a bit about software and failures. It's an absolute certainty that the fault lies in SU alone.

Anyway... I really didn't expect discussion. I was just pissed enough to share my momentary frustration with you (and a few others here) publicly. ;)

PS: I tried it again just now, and had no problems. The best I can figure is the crash is related to the Space Navigator puck, whether directly in its interface modules to SU, or in SU as a result of the more "vigorous" panning, zooming, and rotation. It didn't crash using only the mouse to scroll and zoom.

Reply to
MikeWhy

I was taking a nap.

Had to sleep on it huh? LOL

Reply to
Leon

Ok, I am not trying to put down your machine. although 2.3 TB does not help one way or another. While 2.8GHz is not slow, my 6 year old Dell runs at

2.6. Yes you have a quad but SU only uses "1" processor so it really does not perform any better on quad than a duo or single. Your RAM is what SU actually recomends.

I am only trying to help out.

But any way, ;~) I had no problems using my computer to do what you were describing so there has to be something unique about your set up that may be upsetting the apple cart. Big and Bad does not insure that every thing plays well together with all applications. Yes you have no other problem with any other applications but now you have an application that is not working correctly. Applications running long periods with out a problem is what I expect. Many of my applocations run for days on end and I have a hard drive that has not been turned off since late September. I'll take your word that you know quite a bit about software and failures. I seriousely doubt that the fault lies in SU alone but you may have found the bug that no one has run across and reported here. I personally am pretty quick to find bugs in software. I don't know if that is a good thing or not but I have received quite a few relatively expensive pieces of software for free with no time limits for pointing out numerous bugs right after they had been beta tested and released for sale.

Again I was only trying to help but your opening lines sounded to me like you were looking for answers.

Cool! How is that thing working out for you discounting today's adventure. I mave been considering one per your recomendation however I wonder if I would gain much versitility from it. I only use thum style track balls and I get around SU and AutoCAD pretty quickly and effortlessly already. If I were using a mouse I would probably already own the Space Navigator.

No come to think of it I have had s strange situation pop up now and then using SU, have you seen this happen? Occasionallay when zooming or panning part om my drawing will disappear like I cut a section away. Rotating, panning or zooming will not correct the problem. The permanent correction is to zoom extents and then go back to where I was when part of the drawing diasppeared.

Reply to
Leon

Don't let my misadventure put you off it. I was skeptical as well, and bought the first one for my wife. She stole it back after a few days and I had to get my own. It's extremely easy to, for example, fly through the little gaps and check the drawer runner clearance. It's the ideal interface for Google Earth, and works really well with 3D applications in general. I don't find it so useful for 2D apps like Acrobat or Photoshop, where you usually want the zoom level to remain constant. But I do like the fast easy pan and zoom to view photos and jpgs.

No. Never had that happen that I noticed. I sometimes find myself inside the object, or "zoomed" through to the other side, but haven't had it sectioned. It might be clipping at the view frustrum if your view angle is set too wide or the near clipping plane set too far. I would look like it was sectioned, but without the interior showing.

Reply to
MikeWhy

"MikeWhy" wrote

Did you try the new driver from 3D connexion? Here is a thread, and blurb from 3D connexion, that may give you some clues as to a solution.

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:YxUizdBZNFIJ:

Swingman

That sounds like a video card problem or related to the image not being refreshed properly. It might be a SU problem, but it's more likely video related.

Reply to
Upscale

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:YxUizdBZNFIJ:

's a worthwhile thought. I'll gripe openly from now on since it brings useful feedback. The forum thread references a problem after updating to SU

7, which isn't relevant here, but I'll check for an update for spacenavigator when I get a chance.
Reply to
MikeWhy

I'm hardly defensive about the machine. Happiness is knowing you don't have to check the minimum requirements.

I see 2 "hot" threads running in SU, but they seem to be tied in lock step, and never consume more than 25% CPU combined (100% of 1 core). The hot one is in SU proper. The other is in the Nvidia driver. This makes sense for the graphics thread.

One socket opened and then closed to iw-in-f147.google.com on port 80. Might be to check for updates, but it didn't prompt me to do so.

Forgetting about SU in particular, imagine you had a product manager who explains away why his product fails in use that way. At best, it explains why he has difficulty tracking it down and killing it, but he'd better have an active plan for doing so. I'm unlikely to do their debugging for them.

Reply to
MikeWhy

I use a trackball and recently acquired a SpacePilot. I love the fookin' thing. If you're quick with SU now, you'll be faster with a Navigator or Pilot. It's more fun, too. Google Earth with it is much, much better. It almost turns it into a video game. The blue LED lighting also lets people know you're working on important stuff! ;)

RicodJour

Sounds like "Z-clipping" to me. Part of the 3-D extents of the model are "behind" the camera position and cannot be seen from the camera location. Search the SketchUp help group for "Camera Clipping". There are a number of suggestions as to the cause and corrections.

Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Reply to
Tom Veatch

It sounds like Leon doesn't like multi-core hyper threading. Sigh.

The large fast disk is very important. The larger the better. You should have a large cache. It should be larger than 3x to that of the cpu memory. This is for program and data swap out and swap in.

If your disk is fragmented this is very very slow. It might crash.

And if you use multiple disks for data and cache - it might be nice to be on different ports, not stealing time from the other disk for an operation. Dual ports (common on machines) allows writing and reading at the same time in real time. No time share is needed.

There are a lot of what if. If the software is really functional for Hyper-Threading - then a 2.8 quad is much faster than a single 2.8.

Mart>> Since it matters to the discussion, it's an Nvidia 8800 GTS with up to

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

If it becomes a problem I'll look into it. It really only takes me "1" extra click to correct the problem. It could happen 10 times a day and would take longer to look up, or fix than clicking zoom extents. It normally happens once a week.

Reply to
Leon

IIRC Sketchup does not support HT or multi core processors. I have nothing against them at all.

But as I said, the software does not support HT or multi core processors.

Reply to
Leon

It is really something that I have noticed and it only happens occasionally. "1" click resolves the problem. I don't think it is a refresh problem as it happens when panning real time.

Reply to
Leon