Should I sell my craftman table saw?

It might be your alignarip. Mine is totally reliable.

Reply to
Toller

I had a very similar experience. I had a belt-drive craftman with a lousy fence. Installed a Vega fence (not the "Pro" version, the $169 one). It make a huge improvement in the usability of the saw. I finally upgraded to a Jet Cabinet saw with which I am very pleased, but you do not NEED a $1500 saw to do good work.

Some have said ... save the money until you can buy the mega-saw... That's nice if you have that kind of disposable income. I'll leave it at that.

Reply to
Stephen M

yeah its a saw if you're a contractor that wants to rip down a 2x4 but any qualification after that is null.

Reply to
Young_carpenter

I have a craftsmen with the 12/24 rip fence and have aligned it numerus times, It just won't stay consistantly in the same place. I will probably buy an after market fence sooner or later. To align the blade you need to take the belt off the motor, the weight of the motor will keep pulling it out of alignment before you can get the bolts tightened. I suspect the trunnion may flex under a heavy load, ripping oak or other hard wood.

Reply to
Rick Swartout

Finally got my wife trained to NOT buy any woodworking or tech stuff for me, as I can be pretty picky about what I want/use. 'Tis better for her to say "Honey, I cann't think of anything to get you for your birthday/anniversary/etc, lets go to the local XYZ and let you pick out what you want" Keeps those domestic spats down to a very low number, as you note returning something lovingly bought can be a low point in a relationship

John

Reply to
John Crea

Won't happen any time soon as I'm unwilling to spend the money. I am not saying that a good fence isn't a delight to use. If you can just move it over to 4-3/64 and set the lock and have it exactly 4-3/64 and square, that would be a delight. What I'm saying is that I can get the same accuracy with not more than 2 seconds, well maybe that's exageration so make it 5 seconds difference. Besides I'm so slow and measure 2 or 3 times anyway, it just wouldn't make much difference to me.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

My understanding is that recent Craftsman table saws were mislabeled. The correct use is anchor. Just scrape the grease and oil off so you don't pollute the oceans.

RB

MSgt Mike wrote:

Reply to
RB

I'm not sure why you feel the need to make remarks like this. Should I throw out everything I've made with mine too?

Reply to
Bruce

Better tools only serve to prop up the tallentless and those of lesser abilities, and those of lesser imagination.*

  • Caveat: This does not apply to those who make a living with their tools, though I've seen mechanics who can do more and better work with a set of Channelocks and Vise-Grips than others with well stocked roll-aways.
Reply to
Mark

Yes, after replacing the fence you will need to replace the blade, the link belts, the pulleys, arbor, mitra, the outfeed, the extension, a mobile cabinet, the wheels, upgrade the motor, hardware.....

The TS is STILL under power ripping 6/4 hardwood. Might as well buy a reasonable price TS. At the end of the day you still have asked yourself the time and money spend is it worth it?

That is my personal experience :-)

Reply to
WD

WD is correct. Many of us bought cheap thinking we would upgrade as time passed. Problem is (was) that ALL the changes need to be made NOW so that it will do what I needed it to do. So, I sold my Craftsman and bought a Delta Contractors saw with Unifence. Then, after noticing that it would flip over under a heavy piece I was trying to rip, I bought a UniSaw and LOVE it!!!!! Wish I had saved the time, trouble, frustration and MONEY by just biting the bullet and buying a good saw in the first place. From then on, I never buy anything except the best when I need something and have always appreciated that I did so. May do w/o a few tools for a while but am very satisfied with what I do have. And it is much safer as a result. Some will argue and I understand- but I did what I thouhgt was prudent and am content with teh results. Craftsman make an OK saw for the money; for MY use, it was sadly lacking but this may not hold true for others. For a farmer, they are just what the doctor order; for a cabinet maker or craftsman, they are a little short of what is desired. But then look at Steve Knight; I was shocked at what he works with and what he turns out. You have to make the decision.

Reply to
Lawrence A. Ramsey