shop tour

I have a compressor, but it's not suitable for spraying any volume of anything. No tank, no moisture trap. It's good for pumping up pool toys and tires, and that's about it.

Anyway, like I said, I'm not interested in spraying anything else in particular. I don't, as a rule, like spraying. Seriously. The problem with spraying is all the damn cleanup. I'd need to be looking at something a lot bigger than my shop to make it worth considering.

Be that as it may, that doesn't change the fact that your original point about bright, sunny days is completely irrelevant. :) My shop is like a cave, rain or shine, day or night, it's always dark without a little help from 'lectricity.

Which is particularly obvious if I screw up and leave the heat running while operating the table saw and shop vac and trip the breaker. That's always fun.

Mine is basically a dead-end street too, but there's a, well, there's a reason for all the traffic. I'm not going to get into details about exactly where the shop is because I don't want to give someone a roadmap.

He knows I can't afford it, but he wants me to use it anyway. Actually, for that matter, I'm really not all that inclined to paint it white anyway. I hate white. Just in terms of feeling cozy and inviting and stuff, I think the raw, well-aged jummywood look actually works for me. That's probably the real reason why I've never bothered to paint out there. The idea of covering all the wood in white doesn't make my heart flutter at all.

In fact... Well. Hrm... That's interesting. I had a play with the GIMP, colorizing everything wooden a white color. I didn't make the selection accurately enough to be a true representation of what it would look like, but it's pretty close. It actually looks more OK than I would have thought.

Reply to
Silvan

Tip learned from a professional painter: To get a _really_ bright white looking paint, put in the 'standard' amount of Titanium White, and 2 units (that's 1/2 of one 'normal' gallon minimum increment) of Carbon Black, for a one gallon can.

The painter's explanation: "we add a bit of black, to make it look blue, so it doesn't turn yellow."

The formula looks strange, and the explanation sounds (more than)a bit off-the-wall, but it does work. Superbly.

It's definitely counter-intuitive, but you put that 'just a pinch of black' paint up beside the true 'just white', and the one with the black in it

*looks* brighter white.

This kind of thing _does_ make for some interesting "discussions" with the 'follow the recipe book' types operating the paint tinter in the places like the BORG.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Robert Bonomi wrote: ...

Is precisely the formula and the proper explanation...many of the formulae from factory-matching will have a touch of either black or one of the darkest blues for precisely that reason. It appears that is a piece of the "art" that the wavelength matching machines don't have the sophistication to (usually) match. (I've found they're great for matching the "dirty" look of old hardware brought in, though). :)

Give me a real pro and a hand mixer anyday--although they're getting really hard to find :(

Reply to
Duane Bozarth