Shellac.net

Great supplier online. I did a test order of two 1/2lb bags of different shellac flakes. I did priority mail. Ordered during lunch online at work. Was in my mail box at home the next day. I live in the same state.

This is surely the old Wodd Finishing Supply company that used to be in Fort Bragg, CA but went out of business a few years back. It was a great resource. They have the same old fashioned, almost unsable website. I poked around and did find some updated pages from Dec 2011 so I figured it must be alive and tried ordering some stuff.

Mixed it up last night, will start playing with some Orange and Garnet shellac finishes over the weekend.

Side Notes: - Lots of good info on their site, mostly correct. :^)

- The old guy that used to run/own wood finishing supply was a bit full of himself but really did know his stuff. I learned a few good things from him. His wife, who was usually running the place was a doll and knew quite a bit herself too. I don't know if it is exactly the same folks but they are now in Santa Rosa or Napa or somewhere out that way near the old shop out in Medocino/Fort Bragg. - I really hate how people misuse the ".net" domain. It was supposed to be reserved for Internet Service Providers (ISP's) and the like, but nobody does close regulation. My guess is that shellac.com was taken/owned so...

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Shellac.net is owned by Jacqueline Boult in Napa Shellac.com is owned by Moniker Privacy Services in Pompano Beach, Fl and Shellac.org is owned by Contact Privacy Inc. in Toronto, Canada Dan

Reply to
Dan Grebinski

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Yes but those 2 other domains aren't really for getting shellac from.

Other choices:

Jim Weisgram

I recently ran out and bought some BT&C (from woodcraft, IIRC). Only about half the flakes actually dissolve - I'm very disappointed.

I'll have to try shellac.net

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

They make big claims about keeping their inventory fresh. Mine all dissolved overnight and it dried out well when applied.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

IIRC, Ron Hock, when he first started selling shellac was getting the product from Patrick Olguin, AKA "O'Deen". O'Deen who was once a regular on this news group started shellac.net after he acquired a supplier in India. O'Deen later sold shellac.net to I believe Liberon Wood Finishing Supplies. I think Liberon has since been sold to someone else.

Has anybody heard from O'Deen lately?

Reply to
Nova

I've been buying from Woodcraft Essence here in Saskatoon. Great quality,

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

IIRC Jack, you are correct about Hock and the sale of his company to Liberon. I remember that he said on another finishing forum that he wanted to spend more time with his wife and grandkids. He was moving, and didn't want to move the business with him and re-establish it with new post office boxes, shipping materials, etc. I think too, he was tired of telling lazy folks over and over and over and over how to use shellac.

He was friends with another great guy, Russ Ramirez. I spoke with Russ several times when he had his site up and was selling shellac, restorative and traditional finishes. Russ was one of the nicest and knowledgeable fellows you could ever talk to, and I gladly called him on my nickel to discuss finishing techniques. Russ was beat down by Google educated geniuses that didn't that didn't know rottenstone from rotten eggs. He got tired of fighting all the misinformation and eventually personal attacks. He sold his site and business as well, and the last time we spoke he told me that he thought Olguin had the right idea.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

It's not just on-line "experts" - as I posted earlier, I couldn't believe the disagreements among my 3 books on veneering.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

That's a misattributation, suh. I didn't say that and didn't see who did.

Check out the vast differences of opinion on finishing between Dresdner, Flexner , and Jewitt (my fave, though it appears that his wife may have steered him to the Dark side of the Force.)

-- We are always the same age inside. -- Gertrude Stein

Reply to
Larry Jaques