shellac blasphemy

I've read the books and online articles and anything else I could find. The consensus is: for shellac, use a pad or a high-quality brush. Foam brushes are strongly rejected.

Cut to the chase: I tried a 4" FOAM ROLLER, and it's working perfectly. I got off-the-shelf rollers from the Borg: white, much denser and finer-grained than the typical gray-black foam brushes, and labeled for "ultra-smooth paint surfaces" (Shur-Line brand). I tested them in pure solvent (denatured alcohol, same source); no degradation of the foam what-so-ever, even after sitting overnight after saturation.

I've been padding a 2 lb cut on a large area (~22 sq ft), but the application and between-coat sanding times became excessive (I like joinery and construction, I HATE finishing). I admit my padding technique is probably less then perfect; I've been ending up with small ridges and imperfections, causing increased time for between-coat sandings (see previous post).

The method is not for the faint-of-heart, die-hard shellac aficionados. When first rolled out, there are A LOT of tiny bubbles (per expectations from Google search). But the bubbles dissipated before the finish set up (except for one spot about 8" X 10", on the 2 lb cut application; 60 deg F;

40 % rel hum), and produced the flattest, smoothest coat of any method I've tried. The method seems to produce a very slight orange-peel texture over the surface, but it sands out with minimal effort. And you have to be careful about slopping over onto the vertical edges. The bottom line: I'm able to coat 22 sq ft in 10 minutes (per Jewitt's spec's: coat w/ the grain, work the wet edge, re-coat, etc.), and the between coat sanding time is reduced BY 3/4. I'll acknowledge that for the final coats, I may go to a quality brush. But I may go back to the roller.

The only reason I even considered trying this method (aside from the fact I hate sanding and finishing) is that the shellac I've been using had similar application "feel" (i.e. "wet edge" considerations, set-up time, viscosity, etc.) to epoxy resin I'd used previously on the wherry I'm building. The Gougian Bothers recommended foam rollers for that use; it worked perfectly.

Anyway, all you shellac proponents out there, I'll bet a (one, [1]) beer that you'll marvel at this method, if for nothing else than wash-coat and early finish coats.

Reply to
J.B. Bobbitt

Well, your method will work poorly if one of the denaturants is MEK, so as the man said, experiment on scrap, or you'll experiment on your project.

Reply to
George