Semi OT: Shop Floor - padded floor or good shoes?

I have recently moved and am in the process of setting up my shop as it will be for a very long time. It will be located in a two-car garage with a concrete floor. My knees aren't so good and it has been my experience that walking/standing on a concrete floor for a long period of times is really uncomfortable - especially when it is cold. So, I am looking at options. I have looked into some type of shock-absorbing flooring, most of which is rubber similar to what you see in gyms and fitness clubs. It looks like a nice option but it is REALLY expensive. The formula for the material I would need looks roughly like;

$$Flooring = ($$ 8" jointer) + ($$ stationary Planer)

After I recovered from the initial shock, I started thinking that a really good pair of shoes instead of my current set of work-boots might be the way to go.

If others would be so kind as to share their opinions, I am interested in hearing the pros/cons of each.

While I don't like the idea of spending the $$ for the flooring, if it will sufficiently optimize my shop time comfort over the long haul, I will likely do it. However, it seems like I could buy a lot of REALLY good shoes for that $$ over time.

Thanks in advance for your time . . .

larrygfox

Here's a compromise solution in 2 parts ... put a floating laminate floor into the shop, with a nice foam cushion under it ... I got mine for 99 cents a square foot, and it is surprisingly durable under shop conditions, a breeze to clean up, and very cushy with the foam underlay, not to mention warm ... and buy some Dr. Scholl's gel inserts for your boots.

Cheers,

Reply to
David D

Redwing shoes are tops in my book. have a knee problem also. BUT a soft floor is real easy on dropped tools.

Reply to
Rick Samuel

David D wrote: ...

How did you put it down?

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

If one has a good farm supply, one can usually find livestock floor pads at much less than equivalent shop padding costs. A few of those in judicious locations can make a big difference.

I'm in the same boat wrt to knees/back, etc., so it makes a big difference on both fronts--cushioning and not so blamed cold (directly on the feets, anyway)...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Cut the underlay to fit, clicked the flooring together over top ... a few cuts, but pretty straightforward. Bit of trim to make it look nicer and trap the sawdust.

Moving the tools and stock out and back was the hardest part.

Reply to
David D

And I did lay it directly onto the concrete ... my shop is in the basement. The foam and the flex of the laminate compensate for any irregularity in the surface.

Reply to
David D

Like any flooring, most if it goes unnoticed and or unused. Why have expensive flooring under and behind heavy equipment. I suggest Rockport hiking shoes. That is what I use and have spent years working on concrete and nothing gets tired or sore anymore because of the floor. Alternatively you can put down good quality anti-fatigue mats in areas that you do a lot of standing. These can be easily moved when you rearrange the shop again. :~)

Reply to
Leon

Interesting...wondered if it didn't/doesn't move. How thick is the underlayment?

I could see something like this down the road...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Even if you buy the shoes, spring for an area mat (2'x4') for when you will be standing in one spot for a while. That's fairly cheap and will give you a significant benefit.

-Steve

Reply to
Stephen M

It does move, marginally, Duane, hence the term floating floor; however, the movement is nominal ... case of small fractions of an inch rather than inches, and it "moves" as a unit.

The underlayment I chose is only about ¼" thick, but very dense, and between it and the flex of the flooring, very cushy underfoot.

Also, it looks classy as heck. Practical, inexpensive and stylish. Gotta love it.

Reply to
David D

Thanks, David...it's an option that I hadn't considered at all for the purpose.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Beware, it looks great and it's cheap and easy but slippery as heck with sawdust down. You have to keep it really clean.

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-Ltd

I find that there are about four spots in my shop where I stand at least

80% of the time. (in front of the bench, in front of the lathe, in front of the table saw, and behind the table saw (I use the outfeed table as an assembly and finishing area)). A good quality anti-fatigue mat big enough to catch most dropped tools (about 3ft x 5ft) in each of these spots solved my concrete floor pains with minimal investment. I can drag one where I need it as projects demand, as well. I got the "super-soft corrugated top 5/8" thick sponge vinyl" mats from McMaster and they have held up for 10 years of use so far. You can order any size by the foot from them.

Roger

Reply to
Roger

My suggestion is good shoes and anti-fatigue mats as well. I bought my mats from Costco and they are quite economical. All my mats are

36"x36" and I have them running in front of all my tools in a continuous run. All in I probably have about 25 mats. At a cost of about $15 per mat, it's not hard on the wallet. As well, if you intend to use your shop for it's original purpose at all, like for cars, then these mats are very convenient.

Neil

Reply to
toolguy

How well does dust and little pieces of wood sweep up from it?

Reply to
Upscale

I've put this in my home, 1 room and hallway...but the shop? What a concept!

For those who have it installed in the shop, are your stationary tools on wheels? I'd like to try this (someday) but would think that the laminate would chip or crack while rolling a heavy object (lets say dc-380 15" planer with a mob base)

Reply to
Nick Degidio

I am in the same situation looking for flooring for my basement workshop. This sounds like a great idea and not one I had considered as I would be concerned as to how it holds up in the long term with heavy machinery on it. (300LBS+). I would be expect that it might dent where the feet or wheels touch the surface of the laminate when the equipment stays in place for an extended period of time. Wonder what the lbs per square inch ratings are on this type of flooring as all of my machinery is mobile so only 4 to 6 touch points not much larger than a square inch support the machinery.

BTW, where are you finding this at 99 cents a square foot. The best I have found is around 1.99. With approximately 550-600 square feet, this would make a big difference in cost, another decent tool at a minimum.

Thanks,

David

Reply to
DL

That was an incentive for me, Brian ... keeps me from being lax about shop upkeep. Good point to bring up, though.

Reply to
David D

Cleans up beautifully. Vacuum with the shop-vac, then when I want a real nice job, go over it with the swiffer wet mop ...

Reply to
David D