Seeking Mitering Inspiration

I need to make 20 miter cuts for window trim (extension jambs) in triangular and pentagonal windows with 8:12 slope sides. The stock is 5 inch x 1 inch (true dimension) by anywhere from 48" to 125". The upshot of this is that I need to make cut 33.7 degree and 56.7 degree cuts across the 5 inch dimension. My miter saw won't get much past 45 degrees so the 56.7 degree cut is a problem. I'm thinking of building a jig like the Scarfing jig that Bingham describes on page 100 in "Practical Yacht Joinery" and using a router but am curious as to whether there is a more obvious way to skin this cat.

Any inspirations?

The angles for the window trim which is 4" by 1" (1" nominal depth cuts) can be cut using my Incra miter sled but I can't make 5" (depth) cuts with the sled.

Thanks, Phil

Reply to
Phil

Phil,

When I made my shed with a 7/12 pitch (30 deg) and had to make rafter cuts at 60 deg - I had the same problem using my SCMS. I cut a 30 deg wedge which was placed against the fence giving me a 60deg angle cut on the rafter piece.

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.

Bob's suggestion is probably the best one, but you could also buy a Hitachi miter saw for $150 that will cut to 60 degrees right side of the table. . .

Kim

Reply to
Kim Whitmyre

Now yer takin all the fun out of it Kim.....;-)

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.