Newb needs help with cutting a notch

Hello:

I know this is probably a dumb and basic question, but here goes:

I am making some pushsticks out of 3/4" plywoood. I am trying to cut the 90 degree notch out of the business end. However, there is always more wood cut underneath the piece because of the shape of the tablesaw blade. Does this explaination make sense? How the heck can I cut a simple straight notch?!? Do I need a big band saw to make a push stick? I have tried everything lowering the blade, raising the blade, even attempted to cut it with a handsaw (looks like I cut it with a blender)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

1) It does not matter. It is only a push stick. 2) If it matters make the cut with the plywood held vertically and control depth of cut with blade height. - This will require you to use some sort of miter gauge, crosscut sled or even a mortising jig. Don't do it freehand. 3) If you can't cut straight with a handsaw I question your safety using a table saw. If it is just that you are getting a lot of splintering etc, see #1 above.

-Jack

Reply to
JackD

Adjust the tablesaw blade height to some comfortable working height, say an inch. Take a scrap of wood, say 8"x4" and attach it to your miter fence such that it overlaps the blade a few inches. Run it through the saw to make a kerf cut. Now you can clamp the pushstick to this board, using the kerf cut as a guide, and when you run it through the blade the cut goes where you placed the kerf cut. Kind of like a vertical zero clearance fence.

Or buy a scroll saw ;-)

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Bob, if you're really hung up on how to make a suitable push-stick you might want to consider a different hobby.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

Bob, how is that for encouragement 8-{

Hang in there -

Erik

Reply to
Erik Ahrens

Not every cut needs to be made on a table saw.

You're on the right track with your last effort ... _finish_ the cut with a Hack saw, coping saw, any number of other hand types of hand saws, a jig saw, scroll saw, or band saw, ... it's not like you'll have very far to cut.

Good hand saws are far better than table saws for many types of cuts.

Reply to
Swingman

Yeah, you're right - sorry for the snide remark Bob. I was lurking here several years ago when there was a spate of messages about the painstaking details some go into when making their gold-plated mahogany and koa wood bench dogs, so I guess if you want perfect push sticks you should go for it!

JP

*********************************** As if I have *any* idea what I'm talking about anyways.
Reply to
Jay Pique

you could clamp that sucker down and use a jigsaw to make the notch. or you could spend $800 and get a Powermatic 14" bandsaw like I did. :)

dave

Bob wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

If God wanted us to use push sticks he wouldn't have given us so many spare fingers !!!

Reply to
David Binkowski

I think a more gentle message is in order.

Bob:

Make the push stick VERY long, and wear lots of protective wear when you work. We are all pretty afraid for you now...

Reply to
David Binkowski

I'll add... DON'T DO IT FREEHAND!! I was doing something or other. Only had to cut one little notch in something, and precision wasn't important. I didn't want to bother to walk three steps to go get the crosscut sled, so I put it on freehand.

ka-WHANG!! THOCK! Nothing bruised, and nothing cut off, but boy that was incredibly stupid, stupid, *stupid*. I won't ever do *that* again.

Reply to
Silvan

Bob, How about gluing a 1" long by 1/2" thick piece to the bottom rear of the push stick instead of trying to notch it. Ted

Reply to
Bigpole

Heh, heh, heh, I'd NEVER do that. Well, maybe there was just that one time a long time ago. No more since then. Scares the c*** out of you. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I'm not sure how to get the crap scared out of me. Usually when I do something like that, I'm puckered so tight you couldn't get a needle up there with a pneumatic hammer.

Reply to
PM6564

Thank you for the encouraging posts (just the encouraging ones)!

I guess what I was wondering is if the table saw was the right tool for the job. It seems like the table saw can do ANYTHING from what Ive heard. It surprised me that I couldnt use it to make a simple accurate notch in a piece of wood. I figured there was something I was doing wrong. Im not obsessed with push sticks Im just trying to do simple things that dont matter before I tackle the important stuff.

Sounds from what youve said that I can:

  1. Use a jigsaw (I have a cheap B&D)
  2. Buy a bandsaw
  3. Create a jig that will allow me to cut from the top of the blade
  4. make the cut part way using the kerf in a previously cut piece of wood as a guide, then finish up with a handsaw.

Did I summarize your answers correctly?

Thanks again!

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Sounds about right. I'd just use the one you already made that looks like crap.

-Jack

Reply to
JackD

Very good advice. Get yourself a backsaw and learn how to use it. You will find that a lot of things (like this) are faster and easier done by hand.

Reply to
CW