Scroll saw recommendation

Anyone have good/bad things about the various scroll saws - DeWalt, etc? Might be my next major purchase.

MJ

Reply to
mjmwallace

dewalt is about the only game in town in a reasonable price range. i have a delta, but they discontinued it a year or two ago. if you can still find one, it's about 200$

shelly

Reply to
smandel

Don't buy a Craftsman saw, fit and finish is awful, it vibrates even at low speed, changing blades is a pain in the ass, has too small a table. Typical Craftsman quality.

On the pro side, it was cheap and it does work after a fashion, you get what you pay for.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

I have a DeWalt and love it. I was about to buy a Dremel when someone offered me their newly rebuilt DeWalt The guy also had an Excalibur and didn't need both saws. I picked up the DeWalt for $250. I've had it two years now and it's going strong. For the price/performance, you can't beat the DeWalt even at retail. If you need a portable saw, then Dremel is good but they don't make them anymore so you would have to buy a used one, in which case I'd look for a model 1800.

Happy Scrolling!

`Casper

Reply to
Casper

I'm not a real scroll saw nut; DAGS for forums where they might be found.

That being said, watch for used. I have a late vintage Dremel but being a sucker for old iron, I picked up an old Walker Turner for 50 bucks when I stumbled on it. I think it dates to the 50's when MonkeyWard used to peddle them. Nothing wrong with it other than one of the air hoses had dry rotted. The downside for the WT is that it doesn't use modern standard blades and that it has a spring loaded upper mount so blade tension is not always constant. The upside is that it cuts smooth (probably mostly due to the mass). The dremel wins for "portable work" just because it can be carried without inducing a hernia and also for possibly for cases where you really care about continuously variable speed (which I don't think I ever have, remember not a serious scroller). I would probably ditch both of mine for an Excalibur or a Hawk if the price exceptional. Nahh, who am I kidding, I'd just set one of the others up on a high shelf in case one of my kids ever develops an interest.

hex

-30-

Reply to
hex