SawStop vs. Bosch-- Let the Games Begin!!

Ok, to be completely honest as to how this works the aluminum block is not fired. It is under spring tension and held in place by a fusable link. When the machine detects skin contact an electrical charge is sent to melt the fusable link and the spring pushes the aluminum part of the brake into the blade. The rotation of the blade does the rest, it naturally cuts and jams into the block like it would into a piece of wood.

I have yet to see a blade destroy itself after this event, and I have seen it happen many times in demonstrations. Certainly the blade is damaged to some extent and may certainly not be worth repairing but is a far cry from being non survivable or destroyed.

There are several pictures here of a blade that was used in the test. I don't see anything wrong with the blade but I certainly would want it to be checked out before returning it to normal use.

If you google sawstop blade brake and click on images there will be numerous images of blades imedded in the brake and and after the brake was removed. None that I can see is even missing a carbide tooth. But again I would certainly want to have the blade checked out before reusing.

Now having said all of this the force of the motor is gone when the blade drops and the brake trips so I am certain that this minimizes damage to both the blade and brake.

And from the expert advice at the SawStop FAQ web site,

Can the blade be reused if the safety system brake is activated? When the safety system activates, it will often damage one to two teeth on the blade. It is usually cost-effective to have high-quality blades repaired by a qualified blade sharpening service. However, less expensive blades should be discarded.

Reply to
Leon

I don't either but I solve that problem by carrying the work to the saw. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Gee, Leon. Who would do such a thing? ;-)

Reply to
krw

That is how you tell if it is aluminum or iron! :~)

Reply to
Leon

Roland Johnson gave a great 1 hour talk on the art of refurbishing ancient cast iron hand planes at the woodworking shows. Do you like the wooden ones or the cast iron ones better? ; )

Reply to
Bill

Maybe but I haven't seen a table saw at a (new construction) job site in probably fifty years. The last two homes we've had have been in new developments, so construction is all around us. Not a table saw to be heard. ;-) With all of the alternatives, today, why would one be needed? Construction isn't cabinetmaking, after all.

Reply to
krw

Funny, I see them around here all the time. Mostly flooring guys using them to rip.

Reply to
-MIKE-

You see plenty of TS's at remodeling jobs and especially ones where prefab cabs are being torn out and replaced with job built.

Reply to
Leon

snipped-for-privacy@zzz.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Did a big remodel (with addition) a few years back. I had a table saw on site, and the contractor/carpenter used it extensively. Especially for flooring

Cabinetry was done offsite, and I did the trim & baseboards.

Reply to
Baxter

...snip...

That reminds of what I told SWMBO many years ago, after she startled me by pounding loudly on the shop door while it was very quiet and I was just sta nding there thinking.

"If you don't hear the sound of a power tool, please don't pound on the doo r because it will startle me. If you do hear the sound of a power tool, ple ase don't pound on the door because it will startle me. Being startled when it's quiet is annoying. Being startled when it's noisy is dangerous."

Reply to
DerbyDad03

The above video was clearly of new construction rough carpentry.

Reply to
krw

Well you know, you may not have a complete picture of how all trades operate everywhere in the country. While I agree that there is less need for a TS the way homes are built these days true custom homes still have trimmers and carpenters that use TS's on site. Swingman built a custom home about 5 years ago and while he and I did prebuild the kitchen cabinets off site he did have a bench top TS on site. I highly suspect flooring guys would have one too given the fact that you are going to have to rip some pieces. And, both SawStop and Bosch both now have similar saws intended to be used on construction sites with built in stands that go up and down stairs. I doubt that either flipped a coin for deciding whether to target this market with their product or not. And given that, with a safer portable TS available the tide may change and contractors may decide to have a TS, which can rip and cross cut, vs. a miter saw that can only cut to length and a circular saw for ripping.

Reply to
Leon

Interesting implementation wonder if this idea came from industry to if it's a novel idea/approach

damage is what bent/warped blade or fractures or

Who would check it out to your satisfaction and what would they charge

I would just try the blade and see if it works

BTW in the bosch video I thought I saw the blade out of balance or off center when it was restarted maybe it was just the logo on the blade

makes sense but like below depends on the blade

a visual inspection and a test run seems adequate

Reply to
Electric Comet

No evidence to prove which That safety features make operators more responsible or it makes them less responsible

there are mountains of data that show drivers of cars with ABS were driving more aggressively and taking more risks with stopping/breaking

operators need to know the machine and what to expect and think through what to do if the saw does the unexpected

Reply to
Electric Comet

I have never had or used a wood plane aren't they usually larger in size so they have enough mass to give a consistent cut

Reply to
Electric Comet

Reply to
Electric Comet

Correlation does not imply causation.

I haven't studied the data, so this is a question, not an argument:

Does the data clearly show that the drivers were being more aggressive *bec ause* the vehicles had ABS?

One could argue that along with ABS came many other technological enhanceme nts related to handling, performance, etc. and those enhancements contribut ed more to the increase in aggressive driving than the ABS. Better braking systems in general may have contributed to more aggressive driving/braking, but can it be shown that it was specifically the ABS?

Reply to
DerbyDad03