Saw Blades

I've got about half a dozen table saw blades that never were good blades. Is the steel good for anything, or should I just drop them in the recycling?

I wear a watch so I don't have to put a clock nearby. ;-)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Some make knifes out of them. If you don't want to, contact local boy scouts, or ag teacher at the local high school.

Jim in NC

Reply to
Morgans

------------------------------------------ They were garbage and still are

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I think you are shooting down my idea as I was going to say make clocks out of them. I always thought that was a cheesy thing but hey, maybe on ebay you could make a killing.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

What are they and what's wrong w/ 'em?

I generally keep that sort for the rough work rather than "using up" the sharp on better stuff for no good purpose.

Then again, I do quite a lot of rough work as compared to the amount of actual cabinet/furniture work these days so perhaps you've no need...

Guess depending on where, and just how bad is "bad", I'm always collecting more for the purpose. 10" I presume?

Reply to
dpb

dpb wrote in news:l2hnfg$fbd$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

They're mostly all steel, dull (never were sharp), and haven't been run in years. I'm sure the blade storage was ok (they were hung on the wall), but who knows how they'd run now. Once sharpened, you might have a gem or a toy.

There's one Irwin Marathon blade that's missing a carbide tooth as well as being dull. Asking Forrest to sharpen it would cost more than the entire blade cost (and I'd probably still have low quality carbide.)

There's also a 7 1/4" or two.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Reply to
AMoore

They make good frisbees when out over by an ocean bluff. Sell them to the local gang members for shooting stars? Sometimes if used properly they make good fishing weights. Christmas tree ornaments. Mobiles. Wall decorations. just a few thoughts. john

I've got about half a dozen table saw blades that never were good blades. Is the steel good for anything, or should I just drop them in the recycling?

I wear a watch so I don't have to put a clock nearby. ;-)

Puckdropper

Reply to
jloomis

Sorry for the jokes. I usually get mine sharpened, although they never seem to be the same regardless of who, sharpens them. Carbide will sharpen, although if any actual teeth are still intact. The set seems to be culprit. They are good for cutting nail embedded, or dirty wood too. john

I've got about half a dozen table saw blades that never were good blades. Is the steel good for anything, or should I just drop them in the recycling?

I wear a watch so I don't have to put a clock nearby. ;-)

Puckdropper

Reply to
jloomis

Well, I was going to offer to pay the flat rate USPS box fare plus round it up to some even number if you were up to the effort of stuffing them in one and carrying 'em to the PO...I touch up non-carbide by hand quite a lot for the salvaged barn, feed bunks, etc., ... wood that I recycle quite a lot of for alternate use.

It's really quite a sight to take some of this old 2x12 fir or syp that's 60-100 yo and whack off the really weathered to reveal the underlying old growth material still inside...but, it's tough on blades 'cuz there's occasionally a missed remnant plus the dirt, etc., ...

Reply to
dpb

I'm guessing it feels like new found wood. How do you handle flat surfaces? Those missed remnants and dirt would play havoc with planer blades. Spend a lot of time with a metal detector?

Reply to
none

dpb wrote in news:l2k0r2$6li$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

Sounds like a good use for them. I'd be happy to get a flat rate box and send them to you.

My e-mail address is puckdropper (at) yahoo dot com

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Nah, I pull what I find and clean up some but don't worry about it too much. There's very little that has been surface nailed--it's mostly either salvaged structures like the fill-in shed between the barn and the old silos we took down or the wide stuff from the old feed bunks were built w/ a single-plank sides/ends and the only nails were the bottoms nailed into the sides/ends. The legs were 4x4 bolted and a couple of 1/8" by 2" strap straps bent and bolted at the sides went under for intermediate support. They were 12' long so could carry on the rear tractor platform thru all the 14' gates to move from one lot to another...we quit feeding years ago and they've just sat there and I got tired of them being in the way when trying to clean up the lots and didn't have a functional one left in the group so drug them up on a slab and pile 'em up and began to salvage enough to end up with 3-4 shortened ones for the horse salt, etc., ...

They were used for feeding ensilage for years which is acidic such that the 3/8" bolts thru the legs have corroded away to as little as a 1/16" left in the middles while the outside ends still look nearly pristine.

16d commons in the bottoms to the edges are about like a furniture tack at the head end and then there may be a half-inch section inside the 2x12 that's the size of a 8d or so, maybe...all the rest is basically "just gone"... :) And that's in dry country w/ annual rainfall
Reply to
dpb

OK, they were there at the PO a day or so before I realized it as the card got stuck inside another circular (fortunate it wasn't something I just pitched before even bringing home as do so much junk)...

For my use on old reclaimed most of them will suit just fine...thanks and enjoy the jointer knives...

-dpb

Reply to
dpb