Sad departures

I also lock my car, but locks only keep the honest folks out.

In my case at least, I /intend/ personal use. For other uses, my protection comes after the fact and offers the advantage of being paid for by the offender. For more info you can contact

McKee, Voorhees & Sease, PLC 801 Grand Ave, Suite 3200 Des Moines, IA 50309

They're worth every penny of their fees. :)

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Lock it?

I don't even take the keys out. When I get a new/different vehicle, I take the key off the ring stick it in switch and that is where it stays, afterall someone might want to use it.

I do unkey and lock my company vehicle if I'm away from home, it's not mine and I don't need the grief of letting it get "borrowed".

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

Ahhh, the benefits of boondock living ... :)

Reply to
Swingman

He does. So do you. By law in the United States, anything you write is automatically copyrighted. Your kids' first scribblings are copyrighted. No action is required. Some additional rights accrue if you _register_ the copyright, however that is not necessary for a valid copyright to exist. Everything you or I post to USENET is copyrighted and if something you posted showed up in a bestseller sometime without your prior permission being obtained you would probably be able to collect damages.

On the other hand, quoting on USENET almost certainly falls under "fair use", and unless somebody has profited significantly from unauthorized use of your post the chance of obtaining damages sufficient to pay your legal fees is pretty much zero.

Copying for "personal use" is in any case not necessarily precluded by copyright, depending on what exactly you are copying and on the nature of the "personal use"--it comes under "fair use" and "fair use" is a minefield for both the holder of the copyright and the person making the copy, because it's almost all case law and there's a lot of it, some of which is probably contradictory.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Archiving is already taken care of. Google may be screwing it up these days but they do make a pretty good attempt to keep the archive of every USENET post that gets to their servers, except those with the x-no-archive header or those that have been removed either at the request of the author or because they were in some manner or other unlawful.

Of course if Google goes under that archive goes away.

The trouble with the "what is it" threads is that they don't make much sense without the "what is it" images to go with them, and those images belong to the site owner or whoever shoots them for him.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Jeff: So glad to have what you so freely share and I highly value accessable. Many thanks.

Yo Group:

I started this thread and, since I've lurked about on the rec long enough to know better, I'm not surprised to see the direction it took. I'm not interested in debating intellectural property and copyright protection. Actually, I'm interested in woodworking. One day I hope to acquire the necessary skill and have the time to post web pages showing my shop, my projects, my jigs, etc. I have thoroughly enjoyed these posts from others who have freely shared their experiences. I have learned a lot and expect to learn more. When I do post, I expect anyone who sees my postings to be able to copy, save, share and use what they see and enhance their wood working experiences. I would also like feedback and a "thank you", but that's not neither necessary nor expected.

As I've said before, I've lerned an awful lot because others have taken the time to post and, kinda like a debt, I expect to contribute back some as well. I see this group like I see my wood working club. A collection of folk who will freely share their skills and teach others.

I am a hobbiest. Perhaps, if I did this for a living, I might not want to share info so freely, but I expect I would not enjoy this endevour as much.

So again, I'm sad to see some of the quality sites slip away and I celebrate the opportunity to visit great sites (like Jeff's) that are "here and now".

Bill

Reply to
Bill Leonhardt

Well, the "What Is It?" threads serve as a nice example of something that I wouldn't wish for society to lose. I see them in the same category as a museum-piece--actually, they document the museum pieces! :)

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Well said!

--the other Bill

Reply to
Bill

And make it more difficult for the dishonest folks.

For other uses I agree with you completely!

There are ways to protect your web site. google 'protect site download' - substitute 'site' with 'page' or 'image' for more info.

Reply to
LDosser

----------------------------------------- "LDosser" wrote:

-------------------------------------------- Had two brother-in-laws who were insurance agents and also sold a lot of auto insurance.

Would listen to them tell tales of auto theft that were amazing.

Both agreed that if a car thief walked up to your locked car and took more than two(2) minutes to break in, start up and drive away, they were still learning the profession.

As Morris said, locks keep honest people honest.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:4bc01c76$0$14770 $ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

They also keep the less determined people out. If a thief is looking for an easy target, locking the door may convince them to go to the next one.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

------------------------------------ Might work in the boonies, but in a major population center, such as here in SoCal, they steal to order which usually translates into a thief who specializes in stealing only certain vehicles.

If they have an order for your vehicle, it's toast.

They could care less about a door lock.

The thief can probably open your car, start it and drive away in less time than you can open the door and get key in the lock.

Now if he is using a tow truck, that's another story.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Met any teens lately?

Reply to
LDosser

On Sat, 10 Apr 2010 01:13:17 -0700, the infamous "Lew Hodgett" scrawled the following:

Yeah. With the new towtrucks, you back up to the vehicle, press one single button, and the truck does the rest. You're on your way 18 seconds later. Amazing!

--LJ, who hurt his back attempting to assemble a towing dolly at extension.

-- Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. -- John Muir

Reply to
Larry Jaques

This is such a public forum, you know you are being archieved. If you want privacey you can communicaate via email.

I agree with others, a lot of people make websites a collections of techniques they want to teach to others. I have seen permission to copy, rarely a "do not copy" but largly it is not addressed. But knowing what I do of some of these people, they wouldn't mind at all. I think they would view it as "still teaching", so long as proper credit is given. And it isn't being done for commercial gain. Yes, I think that is a factor too.

John

Reply to
The Visitor

A few years back someone tried to bound and sell a bunch of "useful threads" from a newsgroup, and created all kinds of controversy by doing so. I don't recall how it worked out, but there was no shortage of opinions about the issue! : )

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Well, if they were binding it and selling it in printed form without permission of the authors that is clear copyright violation.

Reply to
J. Clarke

In the days of FidoNet, I wrote an application that would automatically scan the FOOD echo for recipes, it would separate the recipes from the post, format them for a popular recipe program (QBOOK) and archive the files for free downloading from my Bulletin Board. I never worried too much about it other than some recipes that stated, and may have been, the original recipes for stuff like KFC or McDonalds special sauce, stuff like that. I had over 21,000 recipes.

Common sense tells you if you post something for public usage, it can be used, particularly if not used for profit. Common sense also tells you the judicial system has about as much common sense as a can of worms...

Google and YouTube are a wonder though, and hard to figure how a pack of wild eyed lawyers haven't robbed them of all their money yet...

Reply to
Jack Stein

You have a rude awakening coming if you think email is private.

Reply to
burtwitlin

I replied earlier about Ken Vaughn's site, lamenting the loss of Ken's knowledge. Well, I just did a search and found his site at this URL, which I believe is newer:

Looks like, at least Ken, is still around!

[...]

Phil Anderson